Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Book Review Wednesday - Beautiful Leather Prayer Books.

Happy Book Review Wednesday!

Happy Feast Day of Saint Nicholas Owen!  "Nicholas was a clever builder and architect who used his skills to protect endangered priests. Without his help, hundreds of English Catholics would have been deprived of the sacraments. His gift for spotting unlikely places to hide priests was impressive, but more impressive was his habit of seeking support for his work in prayer and the Eucharist. If we follow his example, we may also discover surprising ways to put our skills to God’s service."

I love the Saints. But today, I want to talk to you about two beautiful Prayer Books I received from Pauline Books & Media to review. How lucky am I? These are not your typical storybooks. These are books meant to draw you closer to one or more beautiful devotions of the Catholic Church.

These two books are also so soft and easy to carry with you. 

The Holy Spirit Prayer Book, by Mary Mark Wickenhiser, FSP - is chock full of information and prayer. From EveryDay Prayers to the Holy Spirit Rosary - it really has everything you need at your fingertips. There is a chapter on Praying with the Holy Spirit, in Scripture. This book, I carry in my purse, because you just never know when you need His Intervention. I am older, and a convert and I really feel that this is a go-to source for me. From the Introduction to the Latin Prayers (which I need help saying and translating), it's beautifully written and so well thought out.  As a convert, I am still learning so much and my tongue gets tied! 

Here is the write up on they Pauline Books & Media Site (because I know I am not doing this little book justice in my words:

Deepen your devotion to the Holy Spirit through these beloved prayers honoring the third Person of the Holy Trinity, written and compiled by Sr. Mary Mark Wickenhiser, FSP, and including a small guide to lectio divina, praying with the Holy Spirit in Scripture. 
This beautiful treasury includes daily prayers, a novena for Pentecost, the litany of the Holy Spirit, the chaplet of the Holy Spirit, prayer for various occasions, Latin prayers and hymns, and suggested resources. Readers will discover the outpouring of spiritual gifts that the Holy Spirit wants to share with each one of them.
This is the perfect book for anyone looking to deepen their prayer life with traditional words handed down through generations of Catholics. 
Features & Benefits: 
  • Provides a handy comprehensive collection of prayers pertaining to a specific devotion
  • Makes a beautiful Confirmation present or gift for a couple getting married
  • Offers explanatory material on the devotions 
  • Provides a refreshed translation of the prayers 
  • One of very few prayer books pertaining specifically to the Holy Spirit
  • Beautiful elegant leatherette binding with gold edging on the pages
  • Section on everyday prayers: morning offering; acts of faith, hope, and love; the Angelus; the Regina Coeli; act of contrition; prayer of praise and thanksgiving; and more
  • Novena in preparation for the Feast of Pentecost
  • Praying with the Holy Spirit in Scripture
  • Suggested readings and further information

The second book is The Sacred Heart of Jesus Prayer Book, by Marianne Lorraine Trouve, FSP.  Again, starting with the Introduction and the explanations about the Devotions to the Sacred Heart of Jesus (and the Immaculate Heart of Mary), this is a very special book of prayer and devotion. The weekly devotions, the Novenas, the Prayers of the Saints - all so very beautiful. I have not spent as much time with this book as I am currently with the first one, but I know it is in my library and ready to help me, when I pick it back up. I love the thought of consecration to Mary and Jesus, through their Sacred Hearts. It's so beautiful.

Again, I will post the write up about this book from the Pauline Books & Media Site: 

Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is an ancient practice honoring Christ as the Merciful One who is Love. More than just a way of prayer, this devotion is based on the essence of the Gospel: to take on the heart of Jesus so as to live in his love and bring it to others. No matter what stage of spiritual growth you are experiencing, this book can help you grow more deeply in love with Jesus and experience the love of his Sacred Heart in your life.
The Sacred Heart of Jesus Prayer Book covers all aspects of this devotion, including its connection with the Holy Eucharist, Divine Mercy, the Precious Blood of Jesus, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Catholics of all ages will treasure this prayer book and find that it brings them closer to the Sacred Heart.
This unique devotion is all about love, growing more deeply in love and extending that love to others; these prayers will make all that-and more-possible in your life.
Written and compiled by Sr. Marianne Lorraine Trouvé, FSP, this soft leatherette edition will be a welcome companion to believers who seek the joy that comes from a deeper relationship with our Lord.
Features & Benefits: 
  • History of devotion to the Sacred Heart
  • Includes everyday prayers: morning offering; acts of faith, hope, and love; the Angelus; the Regina Coeli; act of contrition; prayer of praise and thanksgiving; and more
  • Prayers to the Sacred Heart of Jesus; novena to the Sacred Heart; weekly devotion to the Sacred Heart; chaplet to the Sacred Heart
  • Prayers to the Sacred Heart by some of our most beloved saints
  • First Friday devotion
  • Suggested readings and further information
These two books would make beautiful gifts for any Catholic from Confirmation to a "just because". I would buy one for yourselves too, because they are the kind of books you will pick up and use. I keep these types of books throughout my home because sometimes the Lord guides me to read a prayer when I am anxious or to share with a friend. I can't carry every book in my purse, because I have too many favorites... but I know these two books will be loved and used in my home.

I highly recommend them both.

Blessings,

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em