Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Book Review Wednesday -- Two Book Reviews About Legendary Irish-Catholic Saints!

Happy Book Review Wednesday!
Happy Feast Day of Saint Claude de la Colombiere. He was devoted to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, friends with Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque and a great confessor. Go read about him by clicking on his name. 

Today I am reviewing two Catholic Children's books sent to me by Pauline Books & Media. I love reviewing their books because I know they are wholesome, well written and amazingly illustrated. Seriously - the illustrations!


You have plenty of time to go out and add these to your Catholic Bookshelves. And honestly for my non-Catholic friends, these are stories about people of virtue who served the Lord. So if you want a good children's book, I'd encourage you to read them. These are real people, after all.

The first book I am reviewing is called, A Legend about Saint Brigid of Ireland, Brigid and the Butter.  It's a sweet story about a slave girl who lives in Ireland with her mother and they have hardly anything to eat. She works hard cooking, cleaning and tending to her master's cows. She even makes butter (which is hard, in a hand churn, I am sure). One day she heard Saint Patrick tell the story about the little boy giving his five loaves and two fish to the disciples and they fed the whole crowd, with Jesus' blessing. It left a huge impression on her. 

I can't tell you too much of the story, but I can say that one day when she gladly gave all she had (butter) to a lady who had nothing, God blessed her with twice the amount she'd given. 

As the back of the book says, "taking Bishop Patrick's words to heart, she learned that you don't need to have much in order to give." Isn't that the truth?!

There is a small bit of history of St. Brigid after the story. She was such a giving Saint. People received many miracles from her. This is such a great book. I promise you won't be disappointed.



The second book I'm reviewing today is Patrick and the Fire, A Legend about Saint Patrick. When you think about Saint Patrick, because we celebrate him on March 17th, we assume he is Irish.  The Irish do claim him because he lived most of his life there, but he is, in fact, British. He was captured as a slave when he was a young boy, and worked in Ireland as a shepherd.

This lovely story is about how Saint Patrick came to know God while he was a shepherd and how God helped him escape... and how came back to Ireland and convinced the King to allow him to teach the Irish about the one true God. Back then, they worshipped MANY gods, none of which were true, but Said Patrick was so brave and honorable, the King allowed it.

Yes, there is more to it than that, but how could I give it all away? It's a great story for girls and boys. It's a story of perseverance and strength through faith in God.

Again, there is also history of Saint Patrick and some of the things he did.

These two books are for younger children, say K-5th Grades, but my 13 year old and I love them too. There is a simplicity in children's books we just enjoy!

Thank you again, Pauline Books & Media for sending me these two great books to review.

May God give us the gifts of helping those in need and having the fire in our hearts for Christ. Together we can feed and light the world.

Hugs & Blessings,

Emily

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Em! Thanks for the lovely reviews! Now what can I do about rewinding the calendar so my kids are "young enough" ( ! ) to read these to!? sigh. I wish. I wish.

    BUT I know many others will enjoy them. Pinning on a few group boards. Loved this! Love these saints more and more with each new piece of info I read about them!

    THanks my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. I loved these books. <3 I hope others do too.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the great review! I'm so glad you and your 13-year-old enjoyed my book.

    Sincerely,

    Pamela Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, very much. To be introduced to a Saint like children are, that is the best way. <3
      Thank you for your comment.
      Blessings,
      Emily

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em