Tuesday, January 24, 2017

CWBN BlogHop - Why I blog?

Happy Tuesday!

Happy Feast Day of Saint Frances de Sales.


I am joining up with Allison Gingras and crew for the CWBN Blog Hop. It's a monthly, blog post geared toward a pointed topic. And it's awesome. This month's topic... Getting to Know You ~Why We Blog. Please go to Allison's blog and check out all of the other bloggers. There is so much talent! And leave people comments. Comments are validating and uplifting to a writer.


Get to know me...

What do you want to know? Ask and I will answer. Here are a few things most people don't know (or forget).

Before I was officially Catholic, I thought I was. Yes - it's a great story. HA
I have lived in eight different states and one other country. My dad was a Naval Officer and my husband is Retired Army.
I wore braces on my legs as a child.
I met my husband at Best Buy.
I cheered in college at the age of 26 even though I went to school late.
I performed in the California State Fair at age 5 - a tap routine, in a chartreuse leotard with white daisies on it - you're welcome.
AND - I was on a kids show when I was little. Dancing and singing. Texas. UHF. That's all I'm saying.
I'm introverted.
My being alive is nothing short of a miracle... and I'm so blessed.

Why Do I blog? 

I've always been a writer. It was how I survived my childhood.  I have relatives who can't believe I've not written a novel or two. It's quite a compliment. 

In the beginning, circa 2006, when I started blogging, my husband and father were both in Iraq, and communications were such that it was easier for them to get to a website than it was for them to get to personal email. Further, we have literally NO family here and knew no one when we moved here.
So I shared tidbits about our days, plenty of pictures and the occasional video of my child saying hello to them or singing a song.  He was two at the time, so it was fun and we were busy doing FUN things (you know instead of school... haha).

I was very active back then in the craft world, on a couple of Design Teams (which just means I made a lot of cards and blogged about companies I used in exchange for free craft things) and had a very active craft blog too. I have a blogging style that is conversational, therefore I like to speak to people as if I am having a conversation. It's just my thing.

There was a time that I aired neighborhood grievances on my blog. I thought it was ok, and what I was saying was not untrue - but in the end, it wasn't the right place.  It was certainly not a "loving my neighbor" thing.  As I have grown, my blogs have changed... I have gone back and forth from Blogger to WordPress to Blogger... and have had a few names over the years.  

Several years ago I began blogging about my faith. But when I made my last move back to Blogger, I lost a ton of pictures, and didn't have the time to redo, so I just deleted everything older than a year... which is invigorating - because now, I can really do good things with it - I hope. I can retell stories in a way that make a bigger impact. 

The truth is, there was a time that God wasn't REALLY present on my blog. I was just yakity-yakking. And now, I have purpose. In the end, I rested on Mary's Mantle as she is my guide and that is how my blog got it's name.


Hmmm.... well, My husband still travels, most of my family and friends live elsewhere, and my father has since passed, but now I blog because I love writing and hope to grow this blog into a very inspiring place.

I blog because I have a lot to say. Ok, this is partly true, and I hope you found it funny. BUT truly,
God has lead me here to this blog named after the Mother of Our Lord.  He's completely taken me from a blogger about silly little things to a blogger with purpose. To be honest, I'm still working on finding time for all. I have so many God-lead ideas, I just need to put my ego and will aside and let Him guide me. I'm sure it would go better if I actually wrote it all down. Sigh. I'm a work in progress. You know what that is like, right? I hope so.

I blog because as a Catholic Blogger, I find it's strengthened my faith in so many ways. I have learned so much from my fellow bloggers. ! 

I blog because I get to review Catholic Books.  That sounds wrong. But it really is awesome to get to talk about a book or trinket you love and support fellow Catholics. I get to read wholesome and meaningful pieces that other writer/bloggers write. A seasonal friend lead me to the world of reviewing books, and that has opened doors to spectacular Catholic Books that are in my family's library and in my heart. All have touched me very deeply. 

I blog because I am a survivor. I'm a survivor of tremendous abuse and neglect, and so much trauma ... and I'm still standing because of God. He and I are working on a way to share it without it scaring anyone or further scarring me.  I know, in my heart, that my stories give people hope.  I have had the privilege of sharing my story, in person with people who needed to hear a part of it. God has put me in that position because He is keeping His word. That EVERYTHING is for the good of God, even the horrific. 

I blog because I'm Catholic, Imperfect and Forgiven.  And I think it's important to share little stories about family and mistakes and things I know make a difference. To comfort, guide and lead God's lost sheep back to Him. I know my little blog doesn't have that kind of reach yet. But I do hope it will some day.This love of writing has lead me to a world where other women (and men) state they are not perfect and don't have to be, but that God loves us all, just the same. It's taught me so much about my faith that I love.

I blog because I'm a Homeschooling Mama. Sometimes it felt like the blog was my only outlet and connection to other homeschool moms. This is our last year homeschooling. But I can not tell you what fun I have had and how much I have learned by reading other Homeschool blogs. AMAZING!

I blog because I want to touch Your Hearts & Minds. Truly, if I could hug each of you readers I would. I love the idea of touching people's lives. That is every writer's goal (or at least one of them). I love it when I get a comment that says, "thanks for saying that, I felt alone... or I felt less than because of .... " and you helped.  Sigh. It's the best.

I am sure there are many other reasons I blog, but one of the biggest is the sisterhood of Catholic Women I have "met". They have touched my life in so many ways and filled in the lonely gaps for me. I'm thankful to be counted amongst these women who have taught me more than they'll know.

I pray you found this post interesting and that you will leave a comment saying so (hint hint).

And please - read the other blogs. <3

Love, Hugs & Blessings.

Emily

12 comments:

  1. This is so great! I loved getting to "know" you a little bit more. I am enjoying to get to know you through your blog.

    And, it's amazing the creative ways we come up with to make "keeping in touch" with our soldiers/service members feasible during deployments. I only wish I had begun blogging for my husband when we were first married. Although, I'm pretty sure my changes would have been pretty radical, from the non-practicing Catholic I was then, to the reverted Catholic I am today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My changes have been big... Sigh. It's called maturity. HA I guess it was about time for me. lol

      Delete
  2. All REALLY great reasons to Blog!! I am one that is happy you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You're such a sweet lady.

      Delete
  3. What a great story, Emily! Thanks so much for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your conversational style! You could just keep going on and on and I could just keep reading. Last year of homeschooling, eh? What a champ!!! I'll have to look through your homeschooling posts, as I am in the "thick of it" - with 9 young ones from 15 years down to 3 months - oy!!! Thanks for the virtual {{hug}}! One right back atcha - {{hugs}}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I switched blogs, I lost it all. Sigh. I wish I had it. Talk to me about what you use!!! I'm happy to help with homeschooling!

      Delete
  5. Your style is very appealing--it's like you are talking to your readers in a very personal way. And I think it's neat that your blogging has evolved over the years. I look forward to learning more about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This has been a fun hop, for sure. I love meeting new people.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! Thank you for blogging x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em