Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Repurposed Recipe Tuesday!

Happy Tuesday.
Happy Feast Day of Saint Luke.
The Apostle Luke | Andrey Mironov
Click on the link above him to learn more about him. We studied the Gospel of Saint Luke last year. He also wrote the Acts of the Apostles. Plus, his feast day is on my birthday - so he's special to me.

Anyway...

Today, I went to the Catholic Bookstore and picked up the Magnificat for the next couple months.
And a few other things...


I love our local Catholic Store. Saint Anthony's Church Supplies/Stella Maris bookstore, in Fort Worth. Stop by! And pray for the owner, Richard Myers, who was diagnosed with aggressive cancer.
His wife Mary is a fellow homeschooler and Altar Society Member. She's so nice.

I also killed a nest full of wasp looking bugs (you're welcome). The looked like this:


But the purpose of this post is to talk about repurposing recipes. So let's get to it.

Emily's Repurposed Lasagna:

We are all on a quest to be healthier. So when I had some eggplant and squash in the fridge (last week), I decided not to fry the eggplant, and I'm tired of roasted squash, so I had my dear husband slide the eggplant and squash and we used it in place of the lasagna noodles in our lasagna. I was going to make it meatless, but my guys are "meat people".

I followed this recipe for Lasagna. It's in the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook from 1980. I was 16 when I started using it, I'll be 56 in three years. So it's been used by me for 40 years. Sure, I tweak it, spice-wise. But it's so good ya'll.

Here is the recipe for:


In this picture, you can see sliced eggplant and zucchini. We layered it just like the recipe said to do with the lasagna noodles (in place of the lasagna noodles).

To the sauce, I added on can of tomato sauce and one can of tomato paste, because I was making two batches of lasagna. One for dinner, one to freeze.



This is what it looked like when we put it into the oven. Note: I do not put cheese on top till it's baked half-way because I don't like it when the cheese turns black or brown.


 This is what it looked like right before we got it out. And ya'll my people LOVE IT!!! LOVE!


I let it sit for about 15 minutes or so. You can serve it with salad. But it does have squash in it. Just saying.

I hope you liked this recipe. How do you make changes to recipes? Share with me.

And with that, I have to go pick my child up from Co-Op. We are stopping by Starbucks on the way home because I get a Birthday Freebie.

And - tonight, we are having Chinese Food and a glass of wine... I asked for a quiet day for my birthday and that is what I got - and people - it has been priceless.

Love and hugs all.  Have a great rest of your day.

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em