Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Book Review Wednesday - Seven Riddles to Nowhere

Happy Wednesday ALL!
Happy Feast Day of Saint Bartholomew!

Today I am reviewing a fantastic book for Middle-Schoolers. Well, that is what the book is slated for, however, I think everyone should read it! It's been a while since I've reviewed a book on my blog. And I have to be honest with you, this was a hard book to review.  It made me very emotional.  So many people concentrate on the seven riddles to solve (in the book) and the amazing treasure hunt these children are on while solving the riddles; however, and what I can't stop thinking about is how wonderful the lead character, Kameron Boyd, is. I am a little teary as I write this. It touched me that much.

I am part of a group of bloggers who volunteer to review 7 Riddles to Nowhere, by A.J. Cattapan. Before I officially start my review, let me tell you about a couple things. 

#1 - This book will officially launch on August 31st.  
#2 - Come Party with A.J. Please join us at the Review Launch Party on FaceBook  for 7 Riddles to Nowhere. There are so many great books being given away. FUN!!!
#3 - If you want to know more about the Author, check out her website - A.J. Cattapan, She is a captivating writer that keeps the reader on the edge of his/her seat. 

On to my review:

Family, faith, action-packed treasure hunt, reward, death, heroes, villains… this book has everything! I read the book Seven Riddles to Nowhere, by A.J. Cattapan in less than 24 hours.  I had to know what happened…. I needed to know why Kam lost his voice, if he and his friends saved the school, and how all the characters fit together, including a nun, a snooty rich family, and  creepy, old Mr. Englebert. 

You see, early on in the book, it becomes clear their beloved Catholic school is going to have to close if they can’t quickly become financially solvent.  To Kam, the school was family, as his beloved grandmother went there as a young girl. Just as it was looking bleak, Kam and several other children, including T.J. Reynolds IV (the bully) were sent on a mysterious and adventurous, riddle-based scavenger hunt through the city of Chicago’s Catholic Churches.  

They had to answer seven riddles and text them to a person they didn’t know (wait till you find out who it was). The winner of the scavenger hunt would win enough money to save the school. What a beautiful picture Ms. Cattapan painted as she took us from Church to Church, weaving the Catholic faith we love into every endeavor.  The hero and his fantastic group of unconventional friends, overcomes adversity and the villain gets a shock, in the end.

I really want to describe to you every character, every scene, every twist (this is why it was so hard to review, I kept giving too much info in my excitement).... I would if I didn’t think that You simply MUST read this for yourself.  This book never slowed down… it was as if I was on a rollercoaster and I didn’t know where the loops or plunges were – and I loved it.

In the end - COMMUNITY ruled the day. The old school everyone loved, and the community that came together to save it - all for various reasons. Sigh. I cried. But I'm a crier. <3

Who would I recommend this book to? Anyone, from about 4th grade on up who like reading books that are full of examples of virtue and community. Sure it’s a Catholic book in many ways; however, Ms. Cattapan does a great job of intertwining our faith in a way that would not be off-putting to anyone who wasn’t Catholic. I hope that makes sense.

I reviewed this book, courtesy A.J. through NetGalley. And when I receive a hard-copy, my son and I will be reading it together.

I pray you found this review helpful. If so, let me know.

Also please read the other reviews on GoodReads and Amazon.com (and I'm sure elsewhere).

Hugs & Blessings,
Emily

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the release and facebook launch party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a great party! So many of my author friends have donated books, and I'm adding in a bunch of prizes myself.

      Plus, my publisher has donated an Amazon gift card to whomever gets the most number of people to show up! So invite all your friends. :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, I came to read the review for this novel by my friend, and I see that this is your blog, Emily! I'm doubly rewarded! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em