Sunday, April 3, 2016

Poverty of the Truth.... A Little Tribute to Mother Angelica


May I begin by telling you the truth? I have not written this week. To be honest, every time I sat down, I was interrupted. By a phone call. By a task that had to be done. By life. I am the most unorganized person who lived their life ORGANIZED and it's driving me bonkers. <3 Sigh.

Anywhooooo....

One of the most remarkable and sad moments this past week, was Easter Sunday, when the world learned that our Blessed and so deeply loved Mother Angelica was in heaven with Our Lord.  My heart was crushed and elated at the same time.

I have watched Mother Angelica for years. When I thought I was Catholic. When I realized I wasn't. When I came fully into the church. She was my GO TO.  I fancy myself as being like her. I'm matter of fact. I'm fairly black and white (in terms of right/wrong) and I'm sassy. But I'm also loving and quiet and funny and so many other things. I envisioned myself as a friend of hers, kindred spirits. And here's the thing....

We all did that. Didn't we? Though a lot of us hadn't met her, we all knew and loved her. We all felt like she was family. We sent notes and things and we watched her. We laughed and we called our friends about this quip or that. She was as related to us as we are to God. And you know what - we are all RIGHT to have felt this way. It's who she was. It's what she wanted.

In the end, I know, that I can only aspire to be like her. And I do. Surely she is in heaven, enjoying all of the accolades people have given her over this past week.... thinking to herself - "stop talking about me and get to work saving souls, silly people." LOL

One of my favorite quotes from her is the above, "It's your Obligation to speak the truth, and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth MUST be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today!" Can't you just hear her saying it and pausing for emphasis? Oh me. She's so wonderful. And isn't that the truth.

I can not, for the life of me, figure out when we stopped telling the truth and WHY! I have been so unpopular for speaking the truth, about family, about neighborhood children, about myself. People just sincerely dislike the truth. But without truth, honesty, integrity - what on earth do we have?

Let me start with the definition of honesty: Honesty refers to a facet of moral character and connotes positive and virtuous attributes such as integrity, truthfulness, straightforwardness, including straightforwardness of conduct, along with the absence of lying, cheating, theft, etc. Furthermore, honesty means being trustworthy, loyal, fair, and sincere.

Now compare that definition to yourself, your friends, your family, what you see in the news, our country, our politicians, etc. The comparison process literally hurts my heart. It is enough to make me want to crawl into a hole and never come out. But I can't afford to do that. 

We could all list what we are doing for Mother Church and for God... we are moms, Religious Ed teachers, comforters, friends, wives, sisters... the list goes on... and we are busy. But there is much more work to be done. When we are tired.... we must push through it.... whatever the IT is we have been through or are going through... there is much more to us. We can not let life stop us from doing God's work.  While it is true, "we are weak and He is strong," we must strengthen our resolve; we must strengthen our Faith and stay in the word. We must pray more. 


Perhaps the best part of being Christian, and living in Modern Times is that people like Mother Angelica will really never go away for us. We have them - in our hearts and minds, on YouTube and EWTN! We are blessed.

Thank you Mother, for your wit and your truth, and your teaching. I love you and miss you and I am so thankful for you!!! Here are a couple of my favorites!






I leave you with this, an Excerpt from Two Wills, HIS & Mine. I would love to find the whole book (I think it's a book). Here is a quote from the link:
"The secret then in finding God's Will is to see Him in the present moment and react to that Presence in as loving a way as we can. It takes a little effort to see God in everything, but Jesus did just that and His complete obedience won our salvation." ~ Mother Angelica
Let us all be truth and Light!

Happy Sunday!
Hugs & Blessings,
Em


5 comments:

  1. This a very beautiful tribute, Em, and I am blessed to have read it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear.
      I hope you are well! I will catch up on your blog.
      Praying for you and yours.
      Em

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful Em. I did not really know Mother Angelica....
    you've really educated me on her life, her thoughts I am just in awe of her work and her candor now..these quotes are amazing. SO SO true. she was really something.

    She has such insight. such vision....
    thanks for this. I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love her candor. She just really Kept it REAL!
      Hugs,
      Em

      Delete
  3. Love this beautiful tribute Emily! I love how you tie it in to show how we can all be more like Mother Angelica and stand up for Truth and not shy away from speaking up. (Easier said than done, I know). Mother Angelica is one of those people I wish I would have spent time getting to know better while she was living because I love all that I've learned so far about her. That's the beauty of technology right? She will never leave our screens and our hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em