Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Catholic Bible Journaling... Join Us In This Art for the Lord

Happy Wednesday.
I hope and pray your morning is going well.  I thought I'd share with you my love for Bible Journaling.

Ladies,

This post has been sitting in my cue for months. I have been hesitant to post about Bible Journaling because unlike our Protestant counterparts, we don't have an official Catholic Bible made for journaling. There used to be a NoteTakers Bible, but it is currently quite expensive. So we are having to make due.

Come on Catholic Publishers.... get us a Bible we can use that has all our Books in it.

I actually use this:


It's a material covered journal, the pages are lined. I joined a group of women and started Scripture Writing. Like this:



First of all, my handwriting is NOT great anymore. Second of all, I need help in the drawing department. But mostly - this is so much fun. It's just me, my Bible, the Lord and my coloring in the mornings. I don't do it every morning and, in fact, haven't done it in a month. Sigh... But that's besides the point. HA

Anyway - So, to get a little info on how to Bible Journal, my friend Katie (blue hate below) said, let's go take a class. She, Brandi (middle) and I (the tired old lady on the left), went to LifeWay Christian Stores (in January). Here we are after one of the segments of the class.


At the class, I learned about peel and stick stencils, like these from Folk Art. I also have some from Martha Stewart and such in my stash now (but it's not my fault, I had to have them):


The good news is, as a paper crafter (see Em's Craft Closet ), I have tons of markers, paints, pens, etc. Here's my color caddy:


It looks like a lot, but I know folks who have much more. LOL

Anyway... these are my Catholic Bibles.  Well not the Sacred Reading one. That is a great book, but I'm not sure why I didn't move it out of the picture. One I will keep in my bedroom. One I will keep by where I sit on the couch, and one will be the Bible (that I will make pictures in with wild abandon... my Journaling Bible.


And this is about the extent of what I have actually written in them. Mostly highlighting verses I've been using for Scripture Writing.


I know. Watch out. LOL The word WISDOM is all I've done yet.... on accounta I have this weird thing about making pictures in my Bible. I have been more comfortable with my journal. I will probably try new things there... and implement them in the Bible soon. Yes soon. <3

Here are my favorite Bible Journaling Tools:

COLORING:
  • Wink of Stella -  (add glitter and color) I like the clear.
  • International Arrival Gel Crayon - (they have sparkle, neon)
  • Faber Castell Gel Crayons
  • Prismacolor Pencils
  • Tim Holtz Distress Pens and Ink Pads (for daubing)
  • I use a black Memento or StampinUp! Black Archival Ink when I stamp images to color. Plus they do not run when they get wet.

WRITING:
  • Pigma Micron Bible Study Kit (fine tip pens)
  • ACCU-Gel Highlighters Study Kit
  • PaperMate Felt Tip Pens
  • Foray Porous Point Pens 
  • StampinUP! Markers
  • PaperMate Markers
  • Micron Very Fine Tip Markers

STAMPS:

MISC.
  • Adhesive Stencils by Martha Stewart
  • Adhesive Stencils by Folk Art
  • Adhesive Stencils by Momenta
  • Gesso Surface Prep Medium

So anyway, I started a group called Catholic Women's Bible Journaling in December. Come check it out. In the meantime, many Catholic women have been doodling and messing around with it for a long time, I guess. But recently, Lacy of Catholic Icing, and Monica of Arma Dei did blog posts about it. And now, our little group has quadrupled in size and we are stoked (do people still say that?).   

Here are the links to some of my favorite Catholic Bloggers & Their Bible Journal Posts:

Lacy @Catholic Icing


Monica @Arma Dei: Equipping Catholic Families


Jenny @TheLittlestWay has a section on Bible Journaling

Also - go to YouTube and you will find a plethora of journaling tutorials.

I have encouraged a Publisher I love to print a Catholic Bible for Journaling. Please pray this happens. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Ladies, I hope your day is blessed.
Hugs to you.
Emily

5 comments:

  1. May God bless you for trying to get a Catholic journaling bible so we can learn our faith in a colorful way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Emily! I love how you're using your paper crafting skills and supplies in Bible Journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a thorough and fun post!! I haven't actually begun journaling, but i'm living reading your posts, Monica's and lacy's as well as being part of the fb group!

    Did you see this recent post at CI? http://www.catholicicing.com/the-worlds-cutest-bible-tabs-ever-and-theyre-printable/ Wait, maybe you referred to it and I missed it? They looks amazing!

    Thanks Em for the fun and info

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, please keep us updated on your conversation with the Catholic Bible Publisher..... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em