Here in Fort Worth, it is VERY hard to concentrate. 1) our street literally looks like a sheet of ice. It's 27 degrees outside (woohoo); and 2) We are supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow overnight. At this point, we don't know if we are having Co-Op on Thursday, baseball try-outs on Thursday night OR if we are driving into Dallas on Friday because... 3) we are expecting another round on Friday morning.
Some people don't like it. AND I have grown to appreciate the warm/sunny Texas Winters. However, it's so much fun for the kiddos. I can not begrudge them that! Thank you God for the cold and the ice/snow.
It's Lent... and as a Catholic Family, we can not eat meat on Fridays during Lent. In our home, we make every concerted effort NOT to eat meat on Fridays all year long. We also pick at least one other day/week to go meatless because it's better for our budget. But Canon Law states that if you do not abstain from meat on Friday's you must perform another penance. This is also something that is inherent to the United States. Most other countries still practice abstinence every Friday. Many traditional U.S. Catholics do as well.
Today I am linking up with...
- Lenten Meal Plan Link-Up - My friend Chris is hosting this week.
We are also a busy family. Not busier than you, perhaps. Not busier than most. But don't you find that you really need quick meals these days? I do. Quick and healthy.
I think the most important thing to do is be creative. Almost ANYTHING you make with meat can be made meatless. For instance, I took a few Pot Pie Recipes and over the years, came up with this:
To be honest, you could do much more with it, including adding beef and other things in place of the chicken. Make it your own. I don't mind... I'm no cookbook author, I'm just a cook. lol
Here are a few tips:
In Pot Pie, use squash, bell peppers and other sturdy/meaty vegetables in place of your meat. In tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, lasagna - use fish/shrimp or just veggies. Here are a couple of meatless recipes I've blogged about:
- Potato Leek Soup
- Cauliflower/Squash Patties - the recipe is actually for cauliflower & cheese patties, but we add grated squash. So good.
- Shrimp Tacos - I know I have posted about this a zillion times, but I can't find it on my blog. Sigh. People RAVE about it.
Some of my go-tos are:
- Beans & Rice.
- Loaded baked potatoes (without bacon) & salad.
- Breakfast for dinner.
- Mexican Food:
- the other day for lunch, we had avocado and onion quesadillas with apples and milk on the side. Add a nice salad and that is dinner.
- Put cheese, veggies and seafood in an enchiladas/tacos instead of meat.
- Tomato Bisque
- Clam Chowder
- Oven Roasted Veggies
- Sweet Potato Wedges
- Portobello Mushrooms.
I hope my post has helped you in some way.
Hugs & blessings,