Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Psalm 23... How Grateful am I?

Happy Wednesday All,

I haven't blogged in a long while. I've been on vacation, tried new recipes, gotten through Halloween and went to venerate Saint Maria Goretti's relics. I want to, and will blog about all those things.
However, this morning, as I was giving someone else advice, about some bad news they received regarding elder family member's cancer, I could not stop thinking about Psalms 23.

It came to me that I should blog about how this passage makes me feel, in case others needed to read this today.

DIY Rustic Wood Frame for Large artwork plus free
18x24 scripture chalkboard printable from 
TheDomesticHeart.com

Here is Psalm 23, from the Bible Gateway. It's a Catholic Version, though slightly different than I memorized in my youth. I remember it like it was yesterday. 7th Grade memory verses included this beautiful prayer.

The Divine Shepherd
A Psalm of David.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;[a]
    he restores my soul.[b]
He leads me in right paths[c]
    for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley,[d]
    I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff—
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely[e] goodness and mercy[f] shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    my whole life long.[g]
I remember when my father had his massive strokes in 2008 and the Lutheran Pastor was praying for him, and he was reciting Psalms 23. Well, my dad had been asking everyone to help him up because he was confused about what was going on (he was actually strapped down because he kept trying to get up).  Anyway - he said to the Pastor, "well if you're going to lead me somewhere, can you help me up?" We all laughed. Bless him.

This morning, when I was giving advice to a friend, what popped into my head was "Yeah though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for YOU are with me!" Thank you God. Thank you!

How grateful am I to be one of the lucky and blessed people who knows and loves God, who serves God, who has an on-going relationship with God? YES - I have bad days. YES - I feel sorry for myself. YES - I am hard on myself and others. YES - life gets lonely sometimes. It gets lonely, hard, etc. Our world is scary. People are unpredictable and let us down. Finances can be hard to navigate. Illness brings suffering. We all know this.

But do you know how blessed you are that Our Lord has promised to always be with us?

You know, I'm going to start making more of an effort to remember Bible passages and verses. I have to say, I've forgotten more than I can remember and I think that is a mistake. Because in times of need, I love it when a verse comes to me.... to share with a friend or family member (or even myself).

I am so grateful that I learned so many verses and Bible stories when I was young. And I'm so much more grateful that I can teach them to my own child and lift friends who are struggling up with a verse or two. Thank you GOD!

This post is part of the TAKE TIME Blog Hop. 

http://www.goodenufmommy.com/2015/11/welcome-to-our-november-linky-gratitude.html

Our November theme is: 

Join us every Tuesday in November and link up your posts! 

Please note that Photobucket is down for revising, and the link to the LINK UP is in the picture caption. Normally I'd set it to click and go there. Sorry about that.


Blessings all.
Em

7 comments:

  1. I love Psalm 23:) I have a portion of it tattooed on my back. It's such a beautiful reminder of the Lord's constant guidance.
    -Joanna from Motherhood and Merlot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Joanna! How cool!

      Delete
    2. I didn't know that either Joanna! That is incredible.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! Psalm 23 is truly a comforting passage. It's so nice when a passage pops into your head relevant to a situation so that it may be helpful. That is certainly something to be Grateful for. Thank you so much for linking up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was lovely and just what I needed. Thank you and God bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the first verses I ever memorized. My grandma used to recite it all the time and it holds a special meaning for me. Thanks so much for linking up with us! Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your relationship with God is certainly one to be thankful for indeed. This passage reminds me of this one from Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline." Thank you so much for sharing and for linking up <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em