Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Book Review Wednesday - Finding Patience


Good morning ya'll.

I hope your morning is going well.

I am trying to be more diligent in reading and studying my Faith. I am blessed to have many books (some that I need to review)... and so, this morning, I will start my post with a Bible Verse from the Magnificat Readings this morning:
Ephesians 5: 14-15
14 for everything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says,“Sleeper, awake!  Rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”15 Be careful then how you live, not as unwise people but as wise, 
Lord, Jesus Christ, you have brought us safely to this new day, as you have promised to bring us safely to dwell with you one day in your kingdom of light. Through the intercession of Saint Callistus, defend us against all that would weigh us down and slow our steps, so that we may run with delight in the way of your Gospel, who live and erg with the Father in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
I'm going to try to do a book review every Wednesday.  That is my plan. So without further ado, let's talk about  Adventures of Faith, Hope & Charity - Finding Patience, by Virginia Lieto. Some of you may have read my interview with Mrs. Lieto back in August. If not, please find it HERE. She was lovely to speak with. 
Virginia Lieto
 My Review:

Let me state the obvious... I love to review children's books because I am a mom.

The way my son's brain works is if he reads something in a book OR hears it from someone else, it must be true. You know what I mean, right?

I am always looking for books that will help reinforce what we teach him in navigating the rights and wrongs of things like virtues, manners, navigating friendships, and pre-teen angst. It can be hard to find great books because my child does not identify with Veggie Tales or other inanimate objects. Because of Aspergers, he just can't. "Vegetables are not nice mom. They aren't anything but food!" This is a direct quote from my six year old, when watching a movie years ago.

So when we read Ginny's book, with children, family and our Faith intertwined, it was something he could identify with. I wanted to yell - SUCCESS! In fact, he was really bummed when the book was over and wanted more. He is turning 12 soon, so don't let the age recommendation stop you from putting this book (and the series to come) into your family library. It's a quick read on a day that you need HOPE and reminders that God is in charge and we need to trust him.

Patience is not an easy virtue to master, and it is even harder for a child. As a military dependent, I moved a lot, and I can tell you that the anxiety of it is real. What a great benefit this book would be to young military children.

In the story, the Livingstone Family moves their home and the girls start a new school. It is hardest on eight year old Faith.  She struggles to be happy with the move and to like her new school. She doesn't fit in and thinks no one likes her. But she soon learns through prayer and conversations with her parents that things will get better if she trusts God's plan. She learns that she can struggle with things and they will work out for the best. She learns the value of patience.

I won't blow the ending, but I will say - it is happy! God is good, all the time!

Thank you Ginny for this great book. I am excited to know that there are more on the horizon.

I hope that you liked my quick review and that you will check out other reviews for yourselves.

Be blessed always,

Emily

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Em, for taking the time to write the review. What a wonderful surprise to see it in my FB News Feed scroll! My heart melts at your son's reaction to the book! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book and now I'm really putting it on my wish list! Great review Emily! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em