Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Moments - It's HOT in Here...

Em's Daybook
2015 Vol. 16 

Happy Hot Tuesday!

Why hot, you ask? Well, over the weekend, we noticed our air was not cooling like it should. We knew the day was coming when we would have to replace it... but we recently paid for car repair/service to the tune of $1400, fence to the tune of $750 (including labor), a new mattress $800, and we are cash poor. You know? Sigh. It's ok. We will replenish, but it all seems to come at once, doesn't it?  There is good and bad...

  • GOOD: 1) the downstairs air is working, and we can keep it at around 76 - 78 (which is much cooler than the 100+ outside, so we are not complaining), 2) it seems that it is only the motor that needs replacing for now. We are thrilled that we don't have to shell out an additional $5K or more. But are waiting to hear the cost. Pray for us.

  • BAD: It's hot upstairs. Ok, admittedly not 100 degrees, but 84 or so. This is not hot if you are outside with a breeze, but we can not open windows too much here because of bugs... yes - they can get through screens. Sigh.  2) I'm sleeping on the couch and Christopher on an air mattress. Marque has chosen to stay upstairs (then again, he can sleep anywhere).
In the end, we know this is a #firstworldproblem, so we are not complaining too much.

TODAY I'M:

Thankful for...

  • Faith
  • Friends who uplift me
  • My husband and son
  • That our air works downstairs
  • Positive perspective
  • Water parks and pools
Thinking About...

This is going to be dark in nature. You've been warned.  So I've been thinking about preparing for the Three Days of Darkness. The thing is, we know that our world, as we know it, will end... we just do not know exactly what it will look like.   There is a group of Catholics who believe that we must prepare. My problem is that it is not sanctioned by the Holy See (in other words, they do not recognize it as valid) and is often something that Sedevacantists believe. They also believe our Pope is not valid, so I'm not sure what to think. I do have beeswax candles and we will get extra Holy Water, blessed salt, etc... because we know it can not hurt to have all that.

The three days of darkness is said to be when Christians have to stay inside, praying and will need food/water/etc... and will not be able to look outside (must cover windows). The articles I have read are very specific. And you know me, at first I was like, "oh my goodness, I must prepare for my family!" But now, I've taken a step back to make sure I'm not a ding-a-ling.

If any of you have more information about this, I'd love to hear it.

Working in My Home...

Decluttering. It's going well. We are going room to room and getting rid of a ton of stuff.

In My Kitchen. 

  • Monday - We had zucchini taco boats. We changed up the recipe a bit, but it was good!
  • Tuesday (tonight) - Leftovers
  • Wednesday - Beans & rice
  • Thursday - Grilled Chicken Salad
  • Friday - Shrimp Rolls 
  • Saturday -Burgers
  • Sunday - COD
Yesterday's recipe and this Friday's recipe are new recipes. Gotta try new.  Here's a picture of the Zucchini Boats.


Teaching My Child...

We've made HUGE progress. We're almost there. Plugging along. 5th grade is almost behind us. YAY

Wifing (Marriage)...

I have been extremely short and cranky, if I'm being honest. My poor husband. I get that way from time to time. He just lets me be. This is me, a big work-in-progress. Sigh.  Don't get me wrong, we are good to one another, but we are both natural smart alecs and both naturally sensitive... so that can make for fun! We never argue though... we ahem - DEBATE! ha

We have been talking to Christopher about the way the house runs. He sometimes questions Marque's authority because Marque travels a lot and it's just he and I here. But we let him know that Dad runs the house and he is in charge.  I am pretty independent... and I'm not inclined to say, "ask permission"... but I do yield to my husband. It is important for little boys to see they have to be the leaders of their family - spiritually, financially, as men. You know?

Marriage Monday - Please read my friend Elizabeth's Blog Posts on marriage. She does the Marriage Monday posts. Yesterdays was Model P31: Making Fine Linen and Selling. I do have skills... things I could sell. And it's way past time. I've got to formulate a plan so I can make some money and stay at home. Pray for me.

I have a confession to make... I get a lot done, I do! However, -- I'm currently struggling with Spending My Time Wisely. I'm a time-waster. I procrastinate. And I would be a better wife/mom/teacher if I didn't. There I said it. Sigh.

If It Can Go Wrong...

You know the old saying.. if it can go wrong - it will! Sigh. I think it was punishment for going against the 90-day no-spend.

1) We bought a sleep number bed. One of the air mattresses did not hold air. We got the warranty. But get this... They wanted almost $200 to come out to see what was wrong. SO I said, forget it, you can take it back. So we had to pay them to come pick it up so we could get our money back. I am writing the CEO.

2) We bought a pool. It's hot here. Our neighborhood pool is generally useless to us because of unruly teens, vulgar people, etc... And so we bought a pool.  It was only 18x9x52... but it was going to be so fun. it went up fairly easy. But our ground was not strong enough, I guess, and it quickly fell apart. Here is a compilation... Christopher and some friends got to use it once before it collapsed. Sigh.


Lesson Learned. Sigh.

Praying for...

  • Marriage as God intended (one man/one woman)
  • That all marriages be equally yoked, as that is so important in the end times. Can you imagine knowing your spouse will not join you in heaven? How does one reconcile that?
  • Military and First responders
  • Our Faith
  • My family (health, finances, souls)
  • A new Parish home.
  • All affected by natural disasters
  • YOU!
Capturing...




I am going to link up with Marriage Monday and Mom2Mom Monday Link Up as well. Go check them out. And yes, I do know it's Tuesday. What's your point. HA!

I've got to go shower and get ready to take my child bowling with friends. Have a great rest of your day/week.

Praying for you!

Hugs & Blessings,

Em

5 comments:

  1. Let me try again! :)
    I read "3 Days Darkness" years ago, and it scared the crap out of me! I kept looking at the sky constantly, expecting to see something.
    I asked one of my uncles about it (he was a priest), and he said that we have already had 3 days of darkness (but it was way back in history & not modern times). He brushed it off. Who is to say when something like that is going to happen? Only God knows that. We need to be spiritually ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Your pool! Did you at least get your money back? Will you try another one?
    Thanks for the info on Sleep Number beds. I'll remember that. We would probably never be able to afford one, but we need to buy a bigger bed and I've always thought that if we did come into enough money to buy one, I'd like to try one. I will mark that off my possibilities list. In all their nicey-nice advertising, they never mention the fee just to come inspect it, nor the fee to have it picked up. Ugh. That is awful business. I would be writing the CEO, also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only that, but we took out a line of credit and had paid some of it down. They are ripping us off by $17 in the payback. So yes, I would never buy another Sleep Number bed. First of all, it's like sleeping on an air mattress in a tent. We went to the Nebraska Furniture Mart and bought a King Size bed, that is perfect for 1/5th of the price. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got our money back. No - we are going to do a little landscaping. In the end, it's better because it did take up most of the yard. And now, when we sell (in the Spring) we won't have a patchy yard to contend with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very true. I certainly don't know.
    Thanks for your response.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em