Monday, April 20, 2015

Moments - Beauty in Nature

Em's DayBook -
Vol. 10

"Love is the beauty of the soul."
— St. Augustine

Happy Monday All.

Today is a beautiful day here in North Texas. This is storm season and this weekend was NO exception. Last week our games were rained out through Saturday (YAY (just on the Saturday one)).

We were between trips, so Marque was home. So... In what is, apparently, "typical Emily" form, I decided we had plenty of time to drive out to see the bluebonnets in Ennis, have lunch, take a few pictures and make it to a birthday party for a friend's son. So we drive down, and I was thinking it was only 45 minutes to Ennis (try 1.5 hours one way). Anywhoooo it was a nice drive down in the beautiful and green countryside.  We got there, ate lunch and set out to find bluebonnets. Ya'll, the bluebonnets did NOT disappoint... 




Neither did their friends, Indian Paintbrush:



I got a ton of pictures and have already bored everyone to death with them on FB. It was such a beautiful day and nice family time. Gosh it is gorgeous down there, rolling hills with bluebonnets as far as you can see. Horses, cows, people... all in the bluebonnets. It was a wonderful day.

The problem is, because of my masterful time management skills, we were two hours late for the party.  But we got there in time for cake and presents. In a way, we timed it well. On the way back, we were met with this lovely storm:


The lights flickered at the party. The rain and winds came. There were power outages all over, but we were safe. Sigh. Timed it perfectly I tell you.

TODAY, I’M…

Thankful For (Counting my blessings)…
  • The rain that has filled area lakes.
  • Friends, new & old
  • My husband/child
  • Our Pope and his spirit of LOVE!
  • Our Faith, as it sustains us.
  • My list is long...
Catching Up…

Relics: I recently mentioned we were going to see some relics at a local Parish. It was beyond amazing to see these items. We said the Stations of the Cross, Divine Mercy Chaplet and then viewed the relics. The KOC were there in full regalia. When I instructed Christopher to genuflect, the Knight at the beginning got teary because he was so enjoying all the parents having the opportunity to instruct our children in respect of these treasures. Many of us had on veils. We could not take pictures, but we saw:
  • A strand of Mary's hair.
  • A piece of the Last Supper table cloth.
  • Pieces of the crown of thorns
  • Pieces of the cross Jesus gave His life on.
  • A cloth with a drop of His blood.
  • One of the nails that pieces His body.
... and much more. It was amazing and emotional and there really are not words to describe it. One of our Crucifixes and a few rosaries were touched to the Nail. So blessed.

Baseball:  We love our coaches this year. But the league just sucks. There is only one team in our age group. So we are playing teams from surrounding cities like four times each. There are 14 kiddos on the team, which means not a lot of playing time. It's a bummer for the coaches and parents alike.  I am the team mom. We are making the best of it. But it's a true test in keeping our mouths shut and just trying to make it fun.

School:  Well, we are plowing through and ignoring the busy work. We have officially re-enrolled with MODG and are expecting a great year for 6th grade.

We switched to Seton at the beginning of 4th Grade. It has served us well. However, my student is not a fan of busy work. Last year was good. This year has not been great.  My child does not like busy work. He doesn't like anything he perceives as babyish (like Jr. Science Journals (remember when I bought the wrong one). He reads way above his grade level. He is a gifted student. Just like mothers who struggle to find a balance for their students who are below grade level, I struggle to find a balance for my child who is above grade level.  Bottom line, Seton bored him.

       Seton is:
  • More Organized
  • Work-book oriented (with a classical flair)
  • Full of great content
  • TOO STRUCTURED & Inflexible
         MODG is:
  • Organized and structured
  • Way More Flexible
  • Great Classical Education
  • Better for us
Each of them is much more, I'm sure. Four years into homeschooling, I am merely better equipped to get what my son needs and what works for us. There is way more to it, but in the end, I don't want to be badmouthing one educational choice over another.  I won't say one is superior. Just different.

We are moving forward. I have a friend who is an MODG Consultant and she is helping me AND we are assigned a consultant, whom I am looking forward to speaking with.

Thinking About…

Faith. Finding a new Parish. Budget. Balance. Losing weight. Can we afford a car for me? Our house has gone up in price, should we sell? My mind is everywhere and no-where. Ever had that kind of a season?

Reading…

I have a few things to read. I ordered a book called Playing Big. I read about it in  Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Newsletter - HERE!

Wifing…

My friend Elizabeth hosts the Marriage Monday: Project 31 Link-up. This week's topic is She Makes Herself Strong.  Oh my goodness, this post is so timely for me.  The thing is, I have a lot to do. I make lists, but that is not necessarily a plan. Sometimes I fear I do not work SMARTER, I work HARDER... which is the exact opposite of what we are supposed to do.

In my defense, ahem, if there is one... I got so bogged down in planning and list-making that I was driving myself crazy if I had a day where I just could not get it all done. You see, I think there is a happy medium. After reading this, I think the most Godly approach would be to keep busy, but to also allow for contingency.

I need to make ME physically stronger. That has been my struggle for the past decade and I just keep getting.... well, I don't want to put myself down. Here is our assignment this week.
Project P31, Mission #7:

Your mission for this week is to look for ways to strengthen your mind and body for the work the Lord has for you to do. If you don't know what God's purpose is for your life, ask Him to reveal it to you. Then, create a daily plan that helps you fulfill the purpose that you believe God has for your life. Begin to discipline your mind by making the hard choices. What is one hard choice you can make this week?  Then, look for ways to be more active throughout the day, working hard physically to strengthen your body as you build up your home and family. How can you squeeze more physical activity into your days?  What is one hard job you've been putting off that you can tackle this week??

In Our Kitchen…

Marque is gone. And though I am cooking this week, it is simple things. Last night was chicken breasts, green beans and basmati rice. Tonight will be turkey patties and salad.

I have to bake honey-wheat bread tomorrow or Wednesday. And I am going to be doing baking for a bake-sale later this week. BUT other than that, it's pretty boring around here.

I am trying to stay away from sugar. But this weekend, I had way too much. So today, I've been trying to combat low sugar Sigh.

Praying For…
  • Our Nation & World
  • Mental & Physical Welfare of friends & family.
  • Our Pope and Clergy.
  • For more JOY in the little things…
  • The softening of people’s hearts!
  • Less "me" mentality.
Captured…

My son says I should get this:



I am linking up with:
Love, Hugs & many blessings,

Em

2 comments:

  1. The bluebonnets are spectacular! So are those red flowers. Open fields of wildflowers = blissfully perfect.
    I like that you are "plowing through" the last six weeks. That is exactly what we're doing! Plowing over here, too. **waves**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plowing is how ya have to do it sometimes. xx oo
    Oh Yes, Cam, you would LOVE the wildflower fields here. Spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em