Monday, March 16, 2015

Moments - Blessings Abound

Em's DayBook - Vol. 8

"My prayer is that the good God may establish His absolute reign in your heart and in the hearts of all." — St. Julie Billiart

Happy Happy Monday All!

One of the things I've really been working on this Lenten season is not complaining AND truly counting my blessings. Oh sure, I've epically failed, but I'm trying hard and I've made great improvement.
I was up at 4:30am. Took a quick nap after Marque H Davis​ left. Then, we did a day's worth of school. I've got two loaves of rye bread rising and I've got to hit the treadmill. Christopher and I have started doing sit ups and push ups. I swear to ya'll I am so out of shape it would be AFV-worthy. You know you are out of shape when you either pull a muscle or get a muscle cramp, while doing sit-ups. Two c-section cuts have not been nice to my stomach muscles. We laughed and laughed... and now you can too. You're welcome!
And no, I did not have two children. I had a lovely cyst and almost lost an ovary long before I had a child.

TODAY, I’M…

Thankful For (Counting my blessings)...

  • Warm Sunshine.
  • Rain that helped raise the water level of some local lakes.
  • Friends who listen and advise.
  • The right to homeschool (or not).
  • Our precious Pope and his spirit of LOVE!
Thinking About…

How blessed we are.... AND how to position things so they don't sound like complaints. It's hard. I think possibly the hardest part about being a Christian is always trying to put yourself in someone else's shoes. There are things I can see CLEARLY... I have yelled "get out of the way of the train" to people who can't see it coming and don't get out of the way. But as a Christian, it really is my job to be there to help pick up the pieces. Charitably, some people just need to fall and pick themselves back up... and we have to be able to discern this without complaint/gossip. This past week, I have learned... when someone is rude to you or rude about you in front of others, you can ask about it, they may or may not be honest to you in response; however; you have to pray for them and charitably accept their apology. When someone continually takes and never gives, you have to pray for them and charitably help or just say "no" if they drain you. You have to encourage others to be helpful even when you feel they are being taken advantage of, because we aren't allowed to judge or complain. And isn't all gossip a form of complaint... so you can't say this person doesn't ___ or this person does ___ because you would be both complaining and gossiping.

And I have learned that you have to avoid toxic people.  Here are the top ten signs that people are toxic:
  1. They are Controlling - everyone they know is under their control or they are not close to that person.
  2. They are Jealous - when you share good news, they one-up you or talk about their own accomplishments.
  3. They Lie - large and small lies. They can't help it. It's who they are.
  4. They Play the Victim - everything is worse for them and about them. Everyone has to work to make them better.
  5. They Gossip - Someone once told me, "if your friendship is built on gossiping about others, she is not your friend". It was a long time ago. And they were right. Lose the gossipers.
  6. They Are Greedy - you will always be short-changed in your relationship. It gets old.
  7. They Always Come First - they usually only consider themselves and their needs.
  8. They Are Negative - overly negative and judgmental.
  9. They Are Arrogant - sees themselves as the smartest person in the room.
  10. They Are Always Right - they never consider your view point because theirs is the only one that matters because it's FACT (to them).
I am not complaining. I just think we sometimes, as we are trying to be more positive and peaceful, need to look for these things in people we are drawn to, and make sure we keep people who fit the above at arms length. It's changed my life. In fact, I told someone today, it can be lonely in some ways - but way more peaceful and soo much less draining. Try it!

Reading…

To be honest, bits and pieces of a few things. I need to get some reviews done. I am working on lesson plans and book reports with my son. So – my list is lame-ish at best.

Wifing…

First, I wanted to share this with you from Seton Magazine. Four Phrases every husband needs to hear:
  1. Thank you for everything you do for us!
  2. That's What I love about you!
  3. You are our hero!
  4. Everything will work out... it always does!
The article is awesome! Check it out.

Also - please check out Elizabeth's Post Marriage Monday: Project P31 ~ Bringing Your Food from Afar {Link up}. I am linking up with her. You should too. What I love is she also adds advice for single women who hope to marry some day. How awesome is that?
Today's verse: She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar. ~ Proverbs 31:14
What does this verse mean to you and me in our wifing? Well, to me, it means...

This verse describes the wife who goes the extra mile for her family. She doesn't complain. She is tired, but she gets up for her children or cooks a nice dinner. On a busy weekend, she invites friends over because we need camaraderie and enjoy company. She is lonely when her husband travels, but she doesn't burden others. She isn't harsh and demanding. She is loving and kind and a good example to her children and an unselfish help-mate to her husband. Above all, she is a light in her home... she follows God's plan.

Not to toot my own horn, but this morning I got up at 4:30am, and brought my husband coffee upstairs. The car service was picking him up at 5:30am, which really means 5:15am. Did I want to sleep? Yes I did....HOWEVER... this is a man who works hard, who cares for us when we are sick (like I was last weekend when he had to cook and clean and finish the laundry because I had 101+ fever for four days).  AND I want him to remember me fondly while he is gone, not lament that I am a dredge to him. Sure, he wouldn't do that... but that is how MY brain works. And so, I do what I can to make sure he knows I love him. Men need physical and visual evidence of love. You know?

I can tell you, I am fallible and I make mistakes. But my husband loves me through my mistakes as I love him. That is what makes a good marriage. We know our roles, the way we believe God intended.

In Our Kitchen…

In keeping with the P31 Theme above, here is the Project this week:
Project P31, Mission #5:

Our mission for this week is threefold.  First, it is to search out new sources for our food, so that we can buy healthy food at the best possible prices for our families!  Secondly, let's begin searching out and collecting simple, nourishing recipes to make preparing healthful meals "doable."  Thirdly, our mission includes serving our meals attractively and creatively for our families!  And, we get to practice doing all of this with joyfulness! Of course, there will be challenges. For me, my refrigerator decided to die yesterday, so I have my food in coolers all over my kitchen.  That doesn't really motivate me to get in the kitchen and prepare delicious, nourishing meals for my family!!  I'm sure you will face some challenges, too, but let's pray for one another that we overcome our challenges and go the extra mile in serving our families With Joy!

My husband is gone this week, but my son and I will eat a nice dinner, on the dining table. Yesterday, we had friends over for dinner and celebrated St. Patrick's Day.

Corned beef and Sauerkraut. Here is my easy recipe. Put the corned beef in a big pot, with about two inches of water over it. Fat side up! Put the spice packet that comes with the corned beef into the pot, extra mustard, peppercorn, minced garlic, kosher salt and a few extra mustard seeds. Puncture with knife or tong fork. Boil for two hours. Take out, surround with sauerkraut. Cover with brown mustard. Add juice and spices from water. Then bake @350 for 30 - 45 minutes depending on the size of the beef.


Colcannon - mashed potatoes, cabbage, onions, bacon.



Onion Rolls and basic garlic mashed potatoes for those who don't like colcannon. We had great wine, great company. Awesome.

Today is "bread day", so we made rye bread. We've taken to making two different loaves (colors) and swirling them. YUMMY! I thought I'd taken a picture but I can't find it. Sigh.

Here is our menu this week:
  • Sunday (last night) - see above.
  • Tonight - leftover beans & rice, fruit, etc.
  • Tuesday - St. Patrick's Day - chicken & leftover colcannon.
  • Wednesday night – Spinach Ravioli & Veggies
  • Thursday Night – Soup.
  • Friday – Fish
  • Saturday – Dinner with friends.
Praying For…

  • Our Nation & World
  • Mental & Physical Welfare of friends & family.
  • Our Pope and Clergy.
  • For more JOY in the little things…
  • The softening of people’s hearts!
  • Local homeschool co-ops and parents/families!
Captured…


Love my joy flexi-clip. Who doesn't need joy?

Fred ward wants to play with rabbits.
I hope and pray your week goes well. AND I hope to see you sooner than two weeks from now.

Love, Hugs & many blessings,

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em