Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Quick Meatless Meals - Every Friday - All Year Long

he journey of Lent provides an opportunity to walk more closely with Jesus, who desires our presence, sometimes more than we desire His. May we be vigilant in our sacrifices and strong in resisting temptation, and so get all the more “caught up” in the love of God through His Son’s cross and resurrection. -from St. Anthony Messenger

 Happy Tuesday.

Here in Fort Worth, it is VERY hard to concentrate. 1) our street literally looks like a sheet of ice. It's 27 degrees outside (woohoo); and 2) We are supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow overnight.  At this point, we don't know if we are having Co-Op on Thursday, baseball try-outs on Thursday night OR if we are driving into Dallas on Friday because... 3) we are expecting another round on Friday morning.

Some people don't like it. AND I have grown to appreciate the warm/sunny Texas Winters. However, it's so much fun for the kiddos. I can not begrudge them that! Thank you God for the cold and the ice/snow.

It's Lent... and as a Catholic Family, we can not eat meat on Fridays during Lent. In our home, we make every concerted effort NOT to eat meat on Fridays all year long.  We also pick at least one other day/week to go meatless because it's better for our budget.  But Canon Law states that if you do not abstain from meat on Friday's you must perform another penance. This is also something that is inherent to the United States. Most other countries still practice abstinence every Friday. Many traditional U.S. Catholics do as well.

Today I am linking up with...
We love fish and we eat it grilled, baked, fried, broiled... Salmon, Cod, Tilapia, Swai, Chilean Sea Bass (Grilled only) and more. To tell you all the ways we enjoy fish and seafood, I would sound like the guy in Forest Gump, who says, "boiled shrimp, fried shrimp, etc..." We are from the Gulf Area (Houston) and I lived in Florida for 13 years... if you don't like seafood, you are going hungry in our home.  So I'll spare you the blah blah about that.

We are also a busy family. Not busier than you, perhaps. Not busier than most. But don't you find that you really need quick meals these days? I do. Quick and healthy.

I think the most important thing to do is be creative. Almost ANYTHING you make with meat can be made meatless. For instance, I took a few Pot Pie Recipes and over the years, came up with this:



To be honest, you could do much more with it, including adding beef and other things in place of the chicken. Make it your own. I don't mind... I'm no cookbook author, I'm just a cook. lol

Here are a few tips:

In Pot Pie, use squash, bell peppers and other sturdy/meaty vegetables in place of your meat.  In tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, lasagna - use fish/shrimp or just veggies.  Here are a couple of meatless recipes I've blogged about:
Here is a picture of it:


Some of my go-tos are:
  • Beans & Rice. 
  • Loaded baked potatoes (without bacon) & salad.
  • Breakfast for dinner.
  • Mexican Food:
    • the other day for lunch, we had avocado and onion quesadillas with apples and milk on the side.  Add a nice salad and that is dinner.
    • Put cheese, veggies and seafood in an enchiladas/tacos instead of meat.
  • Soups:
    • Tomato Bisque
    • Veggie/Noodle
    • Clam Chowder
  • Miscellaneous:
    • Oven Roasted Veggies
    • Sweet Potato Wedges
    • Portobello Mushrooms.
I just want to encourage you to make what your family likes.... and to have fun with it. Don't stress out.

I hope my post has helped you in some way.

Hugs & blessings,

Em

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm always on the lookout for meatless ideas. We have a lot of allergies, so we avoid meat substitutes (soy and mushrooms) and fish (I like breathing!) and after a while, I just can't eat one. more. pancake. LOL Avocado on a quesadilla sounds really good.

    I'd love for you to come share this at my link party, Taking On for Lent. http://www.adventureswithjude.com/2015/03/taking-on-for-lent-bad-girls-of-bible.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this. Thank you.
    I'm about to link it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] Emily at Our Home Under Mary’s Mantle posted the 3rd most clicked post about Quick Meatless Meals that you can use year round. I loved this post she gave a lot of really good tips! […]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em