Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Moments...Pancakes for Dinner and Peace for Lent

Em's DayBook - Vol . 5

Be joyful, and you will spread joy. Be joyful about your faith, and your Catholic faith will catch fire in the lives of those you evangelize. - from Joyful Witness

By blood, I am Albanian. By citizenship, an Indian. By faith, I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the Heart of Jesus. –Mother Teresa of Calcutta -from Seven Saints for Seven Virtues

Happy Tuesday,

There are two quotes above because I started this post on Monday. And frankly, I like them both. You're welcome!

Yesterday my husband took off work. We were going to attend a field trip with a group here in FW. But it was cold and dreary and frankly we took the opportunity to stay home and relax. You see, our weekend was nothing but busy.

This weekend we visited (and I volunteered at) a homeschool conference. We also went to hear Dr. Ben Carson speak (highly recommend it). We baked, cleaned, prepped for this week and yesterday - we relaxed.

Before I start my post, I'm unplugging a bit this Lent. So, if you follow me on FB, please make sure you like my blog pages:
TODAY, I’M…

Thankful For
  • Lent and the Holy Spirit

  • The sacrifices Our Lord and His Mother made for us.

  • Peace in maturity.

  • Gorgeous Weather.

  • Family & Friends...

  • & YOU!
Of course, as always, I am thankful for many other things.

Thinking About…

1) Lent.  I have been struggling with all the Lent Posts... Do this activity. Give this up. This one and that one till my head spins. And all along, I'm thinking - Dear God, I just need rest. I need to be WITH YOU! Then I read this post from Father Aidan Keiran ~ The Little Way of Fasting. God bless him. It's just what I needed. To be clear, whatever your heart tells you to do, whatever YOU want to do with your children to help them understand the message and season of Lent, please do it. But in our house, we just need simplicity and the peace it brings. Here is a quote from his post:
St Therese of Lisieux teaches us that the “Little things done out of love are those that charm the Heart of Christ… On the contrary, the most brilliant deeds, when done without love, are but nothingness.” These words made me realise that the way I had been approaching the Lenten fast in the past was wrong. Lent is not a test of endurance. It is not even a test of discipline (even though we gain discipline as a by-product). Lent is a little test of LOVE. It is quality the Lord is interested in – not quantity.

I don't have to do bazillions of things. I just have to do whatever I do - with Love. If that is one thing daily - then so be it. For the Love of God and all He has given up for me.

Last year, I wrote about Lent in For The Love of Lent. Chris @ Campfires&Cleats mentioned that post in her blog post today. So if you are here from there, click on the link above.

2) ISIS. Praying that our government will stop the partisan rhetoric and go after ISIS before they grow bigger. I think we could do away with them if we went after them as a world. But they have FEAR on their side. Fear is a sin that has crippled many...

We must stand together with the God Fearing parts of our world and swiftly end them!  I will post no articles. I'm sick of seeing them myself. But you know what is going on with them if you are over 14 years old. Pray and draw closer to the Lord.

Reading…

  • The Temperament God Gave You  – I am reading this with a Women’s Book Club. It’s not very well run, because I’m running it and frankly I’m a procrastinator. HA It’s on FaceBook. Catholic Women’s Book Club. Join if you like.

  • Trim Healthy Mama – because I need to make changes… and do them in a way that won’t set off too many alarms with my family.

  • School books and a few other things.
Wifing…

Honestly I am not linking up with anyone today. But go check out Elizabeth's Marriage Monday Post.

As for wifing, I just try to be the best wife I can be. I'm thankful for my husband - for his patience, for his balance of me, for our family we are building together.

In Our Kitchen…

I spent my weekend baking, etc. Well - Sunday. Two loaves of Rye bread, some fruit (banana, strawberry, blueberry) muffins for the freezer. Cookie bars for the freezer... and a few other things.
Money Saving Tip.  Many of you shop WalMart. Please download their Savings Catcher App. Each time you go, you scan the receipt and they tell you your savings. I typically let mine accumulate. This past week, I used my $15+ that was saved up (on an e-card (print out and take with you)), and on that receipt I saved an additional $11.53 that my husband took back a few days later for eggs and a few things. Check out the WalMart Savings Catcher.

This week, our menu looks like this:

  • Sunday – Meatloaf and Brussel sprouts.

  • Monday – Roasted Chicken, green beans and leftover pinto beans.

  • Tuesday – Pancakes! It's Shrove Tuesday and Pancakes is a tradition. Join us @6pm. I can always make more. (see pic)

  • Ash Wednesday – Fish!

  • Thursday – Leftover chicken & mushrooms over rice (or pasta)

  • Friday – Shrimp Tacos (last Friday we had fish).

  • Saturday – Pork Chops on the grill if the weather is good.
Faith Matters - What is Shrove Tuesday?
Traditionally viewed as a day of repentance, Shrove Tuesday has become the last day for celebration and feasting before the period of fasting required during the Lenten season. The name "Shrove Tuesday" is derived from the word "shrive", which means to confess and receive absolution. The name denotes a period of cleansing, wherein a person brings their lusts and appetites under subjection through abstention and self-sacrifice.

The concept behind this practice is found in 1 Corinthians 9:27, where the Apostle Paul states: "I buffet my body and make it my slave..." Ironically, Shrove Tuesday has evolved into a day of frivolity and indulgence, during which people participate in as much pleasure and self-gratification as they can before Lent begins.

The Origins of Shrove Tuesday
Shrove Tuesday originated during the Middle Ages. As in contemporary times, food items like meats, fats, eggs, milk, and fish were regarded as restricted during Lent. To keep such food from being wasted, many families would have big feasts on Shrove Tuesday in order to consume those items that would inevitably become spoiled during the next forty days. The English tradition of eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday came about as a way to use as much milk, fats, and eggs as possible before Ash Wednesday began. In France, the consumption of all fats and fatty foods on this day coined the name "Fat Tuesday" or Mardi Gras.

Originally beginning on Sunday, Shrove Tuesday was a three-day celebration that culminated in large feasts on Tuesday night. By the beginning of the 20th century, however, the event was restricted to the Tuesday observance. Carnival became associated with Shrove Tuesday, in part from the Spring Equinox celebrations that were practiced by the Romans and the ancient tribes of Europe. The word "carnival" comes from the Latin carnem levare, meaning "to take away the flesh". However, in the New Orleans and Rio de Janiero celebrations, public revelry and carousing have become the tradition for Carnival around the world. It was mostly as a result of the Carnival celebrations that the Church restricted the observance to a single day.

Shrove Tuesday Traditions
Shrove Tuesday has a variety of customs that have derived from different regions around Europe and the Americas. As previously mentioned, England began the tradition of serving pancakes, and for this reason the day is known as "Pancake Day". In addition, there are the annual Pancake Day Races, where contestants dress in aprons and scarves and race down a course flipping a pancake in a frying pan or skillet.

In Eastern Europe, the Carnival celebrations include boisterous processions where people in large masks parade around and play jokes on bystanders. The masks are often caricatures of individuals from traditional folklore. Men and women will dress as one another and engage in gendered mimicry. The day is filled with eating, drinking, fortune telling, and practical jokes.

Perhaps the most prominent customs are the balls and pageants in New Orleans and Rio de Janiero. Like Eastern European celebrations, participants wear masks and costumes, many of which are quite flamboyant and elaborate. Rio has a parade of multi-colored feathers, which include hundreds of dancers dressed in costumes decked with feathers, all dancing the samba. In New Orleans, Mardi Gras includes a variety of parades featuring grand floats and giant effigies of eccentric characters. There is much eating, drinking, and dancing, as well as practical jokes and humorous street plays.

For many Protestant believers, Shrove Tuesday holds no particular significance. For Catholics and Anglicans, however, the day is still observed with confession and absolution, in addition to modest feasting and rejoicing.

1450867_10152923501738387_2905176513859254134_n

 Praying For…

  • Our Nation & World

  • Mental & Physical Welfare of friends & family.

  • Our Pope and Clergy.

  • For more joy in the little things…

  • The softening of people’s hearts!

Captured…

I saw this and it's such a quick read and fantastic reminder of what is important (see the three things that are truly constant).

10593042_950149651668966_162556860135702549_n

Only in Texas... a star made of Cowboy hats. This is at the Convention Center. Yeehaw.

hat star

This is NOT a co-op week, but we do have a lot to do this week - like Paint Peg Dolls for a swap. You know, AND SCHOOL! lol

I hope to blog a little more... without the distraction of FaceBook, I should be able to.

Have a great rest of your day all.

Love, hugs & blessings,

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em