Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Frugal Pantry Tip - Repurposing...

When we keep our eye on God, we discover that we are both lowly/sinful (humility) and made in God’s image (graced). By focusing on God, the soul avoids illusion and avoids getting mired in the pettiness and misery of our sinfulness.  -from Accidental Theologians

Happy Tuesday All.

Today my post is not about a new recipe, per se. It's about creating foods out of leftovers.   I call it Repurposing. I mean - doesn't that sound better than Leftovers.

I make it a game sometimes with my son. You could have a contest to see who can come up with the best idea for repurposing food. You know? Make it their idea!

I am going to share with you an EASY PEASY repurpose with foods. Ready? So last Friday, we had fish and chips. Home-made fries... YUM. Whether your fries are home-made or store bought, you can make hash browns out of them.  We needed to use the potatoes, so we had plenty left over.

We are big garlic and onion people. If I'd had bell peppers, we'd have used those too.  We usually cook breakfast meat and make the hash browns in the same pan. If there is a lot of grease, pour some out. OR if you don't want to use the cooking grease, you can use olive oil.

  • First clean and then dice all the veggies you are going to use.
  • Then brown them in the pan.
Onions and Garlic Browning
  • The fries are already cooked, so just dice them.
  • Add them to the pan.
There is no right or wrong. You can see they are not diced perfectly.
  • Then you can spice them up. We use salt & pepper and sometimes cumin or season salt.
  • Cook until they taste like you want them too. We give ours a little more color... some of them are crispier.
  • Whatever we feel like.  We then make eggs and eat breakfast.
Plus, there is alway some to pack into two breakfast squares for the hubs to take to work for breakfast.

The bottom layer is hash browns, then scrambled eggs and two sausage links.

If you are counting, that is dinner for three people, breakfast one day for three people, and two take along breakfasts.  Not bad, ay?

Two more examples about repurposing food:
  1. Turkey Enchiladas - made out of leftover turkey.
  2. Meat Sauce - made out of frozen burgers I found in the freezer
BOTH YUMMY!

I have tons of new recipes to blog about at some point, but right now, I'm still working on using what I have and repurposing the leftovers. And to be honest, it feels kinda lame to be talking about repurposing food... but you know, it just may give one of you an idea... and then, it will be worth it.

I am going to link up with Try a New Recipe Tuesday, because I believe repurposed foods are new recipes. I hope it meets the criteria.

Have a great day!

Blessings all,

Em

4 comments:

  1. […] I read Emily’s post today on repurposing and I think now, I have a bandwagon I can jump on :). And I definitely think she’s right, […]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great advice, especially for those of us who need to watch out food budget! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." Hope you can join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2015/02/try-new-recipe-tuesday-february-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks.
    Not this week.
    But soon, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em