If you’re confused as to why God would die for you, you either need to rethink your vision of His mercy or of your own worth. - from Tweet Inspiration
Happy Sunday All!
As usual, it's Sunday evening here. It was a cool and sunny day in North Texas. We are all fighting NOT to get sick. Pray for us.
As you all know, I've been playing along in the Pantry Challenge with Jessica and the other ladies who are playing along. This is technically the last week of the challenge, but we have easily two more weeks of food, so I'll probably continue even when the others drop off.
WHAT WE DID RIGHT…
Example of using what I have: One of the things I love about Pantry Challenge is the using what I have, principle. Tonight, along with the Chicken we are having for dinner, I decided that we'd have sweet potato wedges. I looked for a healthy recipe. I found this one: Oven Roasted Sweet-Potato Recipe
In the spirit of using what I have - I don't have dry mustard because it's part of what I had to toss as the pantry challenge started. So in my recipe, I used deli mustard, organic olive oil, fresh dried rosemary and basil, garlic powder and salt/pepper.
Asking for help from my husband and son: they have helped me prep for many meals.
Used the Good Cheap Eats Website and looked up Turkey Enchiladas. No, I don't get a kickback. I love her recipes... as you know.
What did I change.... WELL - hahaha. I did not have black beans. So I added leftovers from the bell peppers (yellow, red and green). I also used three cups of turkey left over from the turkey we made Monday. I just cut it small. Here is what I did: Cut up about six green onions, maybe three or four inches of their stalks. Sautéed that and a heaping table spoon of minced garlic in a pan. Chopped the bell pepper (close to a cup), and added salsa, a cup of water and an envelope of taco seasoning mix. I just let it cook until the mixture was thick, not runny.
There is a part of the recipe that tells you how to soften the corn tortilla, DO THIS. My husband did not think it was necessary... BUT, it is, because they broke a little. BUT this did not deter my family from eating them… it would just look prettier. LOL
We made two pans of the enchiladas. Then we put extra meat mixture on top. Baked it for about 35 minutes. Topped with Avocado and light sour cream. Here they are:
NEED TO WORK ON…
- Sticking to the menu. But in a way, I can't help it because we have so much leftover.
- Our Pantry is starting to look great. HOWEVER, we have added to our freezer.
- Turkey breast and leg.
- Two family dinners worth of turkey soup.
- Doubled up on honey-wheat bread and now we have enough bread that I may not have to bake this week.
- I had an epic fail when I did not pay attention and over-salted the roasted veggies. They would have been so good too. I had carrots, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and eggplant. I put what the recipe called for - but it was so bad, my salt-loving husband wouldn't eat it and we tossed.
MENUS THIS WEEK – WEEK 4…
- Sunday (Tonight) – Grilled Chicken, sweet potato wedges, green veggies.
- Monday – Beans & Rice
- Tuesday – spaghetti & meatballs
- Wednesday – Turkey Enchiladas (from the freezer)
- Thursday –leftovers
- Friday – Fish Tacos
- Saturday – Burgers (??) In the interest of full disclosure, I may change my mind on this. I have ground beef and I may just make a shepherd's pie. I'll keep ya posted.
Breakfasts: Egg wraps. Blueberry muffins. Zucchini Bread. Yogurt. Lunches: Tuna salad. PB&J. Leftovers. Soup. Snacks: Fruit, veggies, cheese sticks, popcorn.
SPENDING – This week, we did not go grocery shopping. My husband did pick up fabric softener and toilet paper on base... but not at the grocery.
WAIT - I did shop @ Vitacost and Keurig. I spent about $90 between the two. I bought Masa Harina (so I can make fresh Corn Tortillas), flour, spices and organic cleaners. That is what happens when you shop on the Internet!
I have really been enjoying this. It's a challenge. I mean, I am a meal planner. But what this has taught me is that I have way too much ingredients here.
Oh and did I tell you our toaster died? Well, it did. And so, we got a new toaster oven? Meet Fancy..
We love her. Christopher thought she was for him. He's heated up pizza we made last week and several other things.
And with that, I’ve gotta get going.
Love, Hugs & Blessings…