Sunday, January 18, 2015

Pantry Challenge - Week 3

If we have been saved and sustained by a love so deep that death itself couldn’t destroy it, then that love will see us through whatever darkness we are experiencing in our lives. ~ from Pope Francis and our Call to Joy


Happy Sunday All!

Today was absolutely beautiful here. Really all weekend was. My guys worked outside and I worked inside... Um... for all my friends up North, look away... it was sunny today. We barely need any lights on. I even opened the back door. Um - we need to replace the old storm door so I don't have to open my back door wide. But it felt sooo good and it was bright. LOVE! This is the view from the couch.

1972298_10206339357189251_1008106708136341970_n

As you all know, we are participating in the Pantry/Freezer Challenge (in this post she tells how she is doing so far and what's coming this week) at Good Cheap Eats.

WHAT WE DID RIGHT...

Used what we have.  We made bread and are using our grains and such. That feels good. Our pantry is still pretty stocked though. Clearly we had too much. HA  What I really love is that we are eating very healthy.

NEED TO WORK ON…

  • It's hard to stick to the menu because I don't want to toss leftovers.

  • We did order Chinese food one night...  In my defense... well, I messed up. There is no excuse. Sigh.

  • Doing more prep work.

  • Communicating. Like if the 11 year old would tell us when he uses the last of things.  Of course, I need to cross things off the list that I've used too.


------WEEK 3------




[caption id="attachment_5247" align="aligncenter" width="345"]IMG_0351 Stuffed Peppers & Meatloaf.[/caption]

Today, I got a jump on the week. We seasoned the turkey for tomorrow. We made meatloaf for later this week. I wasn't going to, but I had so much meat leftover from the stuffed peppers, instead of making meatballs (which is what I usually do (#freezeraddict), Marque asked that I make a meatloaf. And he asked me to make it tonight in case he wanted a meatloaf sandwich. HA

IMG_3016

In our produce basket we got some interesting stuff.  The volunteers were all excited when I was talking about it. I mean - if all you can justify spending money on is dairy and produce... you get a little excited at a produce co-op.

I have cool stuff to work with this week. Spaghetti squash, bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini, apples, papaya, pineapple, lemons, limes, carrots, kale, green beans and much more...

  • I cleaned and cooked the green beans.

  • I dried the herbs in the dehydrator.


And I'm trying to figure out what to do with one beet, one papaya, and one pomegranate. LOL   I need to be more adventurous. Pray for me!

The rest is just normal fruits & veggies. I may even try to make some apple crisps for snacks.... or something.

MENUS THIS WEEK – WEEK 3…

Dinners:

  • Sunday (Tonight) – Stuffed Peppers (1 pan for now, 1 for freezer (4 to a pan)).

  • Monday – Turkey Dinner

  • Tuesday – Meatloaf

  • Wednesday – Turkey Enchiladas

  • Thursday –Leftovers

  • Friday – Shrimp

  • Saturday – Burgers


Breakfasts: Muffins, Cinnamon bread, Cereal, Oatmeal, Eggs, Yogurt... plenty of choices there.  Lunches: Chicken Salad, leftovers and whatever else we can find. Snacks:  Fruit, veggies, cheese sticks, popcorn.

SPENDING – This week, we needed dog and cat food. And we also bought a few cleaning supplies. We are really proud that we stuck to our list.  We also got milk, orange juice, eggs, paper goods, and a few things we really needed (not want). We spent around $100.00.  So far, we are under $200... even if you add the Chinese Food.

Overall, I think it is going really well.

My goal. No ordering out this week...

And with that, I've gotta get going.

Love, Hugs & Blessings...

Happy Frugal-Pantry-ing!

Emcatholic

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em