Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pantry Challenge - Week 2

JANUARY 11, 2015
"Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
– St. Thomas Aquinas 


Happy Sunday All!

We are starting the 2nd week of our Pantry Challenge. AND things are going well.  We had a little more leftovers than we thought, so we froze some AND we moved things around on the menu. That's the benefit (I guess) of having a small family.

As I type this, rye bread is baking in my oven! I have been trying bread mixes from the Prepared Pantry. I love his stuff, but I prefer bread from scratch. His recipes are for bread-makers. And - since I am the bread maker... HAHAHA

If you are a blog reader of mine and you are participating, let me know so I can come check out your blog.

Also - Check out what Jessica is doing here: Pantry Challenge Update

WHAT WE DID RIGHT...

  • Well, the organization of it all. I've baked bread and all kinds of things.  I mean, if you have what you need, you really can make it all last. It really helps to have EVERYTHING you have in your pantry/freezer written down. This is my first time doing this part in earnest, and it's paying off.

  • Trying new recipes.

  • Just having fun with it.

  • Having the whole family on-board. I've done this in the past, and gotten MEAGER acceptance and cooperation from my family. It's way better this time, because everyone is on board.


NEED TO WORK ON...

  • I had my husband pick up sugar (um, I really thought I had some) and ice cream. His birthday was Monday, and he wanted ice cream & cake.

  • I had to throw away some KEY spices that were years expired. So that is fun.  I'm making it work (thank you Internet).

  • We forgot we had a sitter for Saturday night, so we did not cancel. Instead, we enjoyed a movie and a night out. I had a side salad as part of my "keep the bill low" campaign. It was awesome!

  • This week, my goal is NO trips to the Store. And we aren't having a date night either.


MENUS THIS WEEK - WEEK 2 ...

Dinners: 

  • Sunday (Tonight) – Tacos. Then the hubs will take taco salad for lunch tomorrow.

  • Monday  – Chicken Strips & Veggies

  • Tuesday – Chicken Tortilla Soup

  • Wednesday – Breakfast for Dinner

  • Thursday – Sautéed veggies and pasta

  • Friday – Shrimp & Veggies

  • Saturday – Burgers


**In the interest of full disclosure, I changed my menu based on what I had.

Breakfasts: Last week I made some great French Toast Muffins (SO GOOD). This week, I had a bunch of blueberries, so I made both muffins and pancakes. So now, my guys have freezer choices.  There is also cereal, oatmeal, eggs & toast. And we have plenty of home-made jelly in reserve.


blueberries


Lunches: Egg salad sandwiches. Tuna Sandwiches.Celery & peanut butter. Fruit.


Snacks: Fruit, veggies, popcorn. I have stopped buying SNACK FOOD for the most part. We just don't need it.


SPENDING -  We have spent less than $50 so far. We will need some produce and pet supplies towards the end of this week. And probably dairy too.


My Biggest Challenge is ... training my family! Now, if someone could train my guys to tell me when things get low, I'd be the happiest woman ever! HA!  Seriously, that is a challenge with just men in the house. I love them. But they leave things odd places and they don't communicate. I get a bunch of "oh, I thought I toldyas"... Sigh. God bless them.

Have a blessed week ya'll.

Love, Hugs & blessings,

Em

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like this is working for you. I am doing the declutter right now and the next part of it is cleaning , organizing and writing down everything in your pantry. Once this is done I may try to join you on this challenge. Just do not like too many things to juggle. We have a white board at work and I have my staff write on it every time they notice something is low or they take the last of something. This or a chalk board may work for the "men". Keep up the good work. You are so organized and seem to really like cooking. I on the other hand do it for a living so do not like to do it for myself. lol That needs to be corrected so keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Janice. I sure will!
    Are you a chef?
    I am pretty organized, but there is always room for improvement.
    Blessings,
    Em

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em