Saturday, January 3, 2015

New Year's Resolutions? NOPE... not really!

Only a spirit of expropriation, recognizing everything as a gift from God, enables a person to live in the deepest truth about his or her life. Joy naturally follows when a person lives in such a truth. ~ from Peace and Good


Happy Saturday All!

I hope your day is great.  I promised my husband a lazy few days and we are enjoying them. At some point I'll edit the 300+ photos from our Christmas Trip. Marque got me a newer version of the Canon Rebel Camera and I need to learn how to use it. But one of my cousin's husband's grown children took a bunch of fun and random Christmas shots. So - I'll post some soon.

That said - I wanted to share that my husband will be 55 on Monday.I am so blessed with my choice of husbands. Thank you God! AND - He's so excited to be 55. HA Free stuff baby! He cracks me up.  Oh and for you folks aged 50+, check out this site: Boomer Places.

We are going to an Epiphany Party tonight. Yay.  They are serving Mediterranean Food and I have to think of what to bring. How fun is that?!

And now, on with my post...

About Resolutions...

Every year people post lots of resolutions. Some, I'm sure, they intend to do. Some, I'm sure, to impress others.  And these people don't often change. I say this assuredly because I've done it. I don't mean to. But I have decided, in my 51st year, to be more honest with myself and that means being honest about what I can accomplish, so that at the end of the year I am not left feeling "less than" for not accomplishing the 50-million things I thought I needed to in order to meet everyone else's expectations. I hope that makes sense.

I wrote this in the Veiling Group on FaceBook:
I am not sharing resolutions... because I just frankly think sometimes it's ok to keep things to myself. But I do have a few hopes... that people can find happiness, look for the silver lining.... love more and make the world a better place. We need to stop complaining so much. We need to do what we are supposed to do. We need a backbone, but also compassion, respect and love... Tell me - what are your thoughts as this year starts? My word for this year - determined.

I do have a few goals. but I am really just concentrating on being a better version of myself. I'm a pretty good person, flaws and all. And It's ok. I just am hard on myself, by nature, and I don't want to say I'm going to do 50 things and only really do well at 10. You know?

Anyhooo...  whether you are Catholic or not, I think you should read up on what the Pope said, According to this article,

VATICAN CITY — When Pope Francis met before Christmas with Vatican employees, mostly lay people with families, he asked them to do 10 things. The list sounded remarkably like suggestions for New Year’s resolutions:

– “Take care of your spiritual life, your relationship with God, because this is the backbone of everything we do and everything we are.”

– “Take care of your family life, giving your children and loved ones not just money, but most of all your time, attention and love.”

– “Take care of your relationships with others, transforming your faith into life and your words into good works, especially on behalf of the needy.”

– “Be careful how you speak, purify your tongue of offensive words, vulgarity and worldly decadence.”

– “Heal wounds of the heart with the oil of forgiveness, forgiving those who have hurt us and medicating the wounds we have caused others.”

– “Look after your work, doing it with enthusiasm, humility, competence, passion and with a spirit that knows how to thank the Lord.”

– “Be careful of envy, lust, hatred and negative feelings that devour our interior peace and transform us into destroyed and destructive people.”

– “Watch out for anger that can lead to vengeance; for laziness that leads to existential euthanasia; for pointing the finger at others, which leads to pride; and for complaining continually, which leads to desperation.”

– “Take care of brothers and sisters who are weaker … the elderly, the sick, the hungry, the homeless and strangers, because we will be judged on this.”

How nice would the world be if we could all just be better people?  Listen, I would never discourage anyone from being a better person. So if you need to make resolutions and that is how you make changes, go for it.

I'm just saying my changes this year are going to be about me. Not about you or anyone else... and they aren't for sharing because they are personal.  If I had to share goals... In our home, we plan to continue to work on the things above. We are good at many of them... and there are several I/we need to work on.

You'd be surprised if I told you, sadly, that I tend to drop the F-bomb when I get REALLY upset.  It is both shocking and vulgar... and needs to stop. But no amount of blogging about it will work. It's the year for digging deep within ME... DETERMINED!

Have a great rest of your Saturday! And thanks for stopping by!

Love & Hugs,

Em

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I'm loving the Holy Father's words. In the Chr Eve homily fr Frank referred to this and I had yet to seek out the exact wording of his advice. I so need this. Printing, pinning.
    Awesome about the new camera!! I rec'd a Nikon for Mother's day, which we took cross country in 2014 and the pics are amazing! Not sure exactly which one I got. But I do love it. Honestly, I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do. hmmm...that should be on my list of non-resolutions. Because, you know I so agree with your resolution thing!

    I love that I can now comment here! I'm not sure what changed. Maybe when you switched blogs? Although if this is still WP, I'm not sure why I can comment. Usually I cannot on WP blogs. Worked out great!
    I'll "see" you soon..enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I upgraded my blog. that may be it! Yes, our Pope is fantastic. God bless him. xx oo thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh Em. The f-bomb. ME, TOO! 😮😖 Not my proudest confession, but just to say you're not alone. It's very much a weakness for me.
    I've never made resolutions. It just never has made sense to me, and I'd never keep them, anyway. 😋
    Best to you as you work on being your best you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em