Monday, January 19, 2015

Moments... Em's DayBook

Daybook – 2015, Vol. 2


No one listens willingly to someone who speaks to them from a position of self-righteousness and judgment. Again and again in the Gospels, Jesus reserves his harshest words for those who ignore their own weakness in order to lord it over others.  ~ from Pope Francis and our Call to Joy


Happy Monday All!

By the time you read this, it's Monday evening... I had a lot to do today... my apologies.

I hope you had a great weekend. We did. As I posted yesterday, we had windows open and let the house air out. We are so blessed to be able to do that certain day sin Winter. It gets very cold here (not usually in the minus range, but cold enough), and to be able to open your windows is a gift we don't take for granted.

Even Fred sat outside for hours. It just felt so good.

[caption id="attachment_5253" align="aligncenter" width="395"]IMG_0349 Fred hangs outside.[/caption]

Today is MLK Day, and my student informed me that his friends all had the day off. Soooo---We have a day off school. I will be lesson planning and organizing. lol What, you thought a mama/teacher gets a day off?   Ok, yes, I am typing this in my PJ's. No, I have not made my bed or really done much else. HA!

TODAY, I'M...

Thankful For

  • Sunny Days. God Bless the Sun!

  • My husband

  • Silly Christopher

  • Our Catholic Faith

  • My friends & extended family

  • Paper crafting...

  • Being Nominated for a Sheenazing Award.  In the Most Inspiring Category. HA! I just can't believe it.


I KNOW! Can you believe it? I do hope to inspire and be well-liked. And I'm just so honored to even be nominated. I truly hope Passionate Perseverance Wins in our Category. I've never been so touched by a blog... well, not in a while. Check her out.  I will post my favs tomorrow. Check back then!

I am thankful for many things. My list is endless. I just try to keep it interesting.

Thinking About

It's Martin Luther Kind Day. At times, I am both thrilled, and dismayed at the way in which our country still handles race-relations. Why we need "race relations" is beyond me. Why people can not be given equal chance as an American Citizen, regardless of color..... is BEYOND ME! And you know what, Good "Christians", it's not ok with God if you treat people differently because they look different or go to a different Church. Judge not, lest ye be judged! Our constitution guarantees all American Citizens many rights, and they are not based on race/religion. So why can't the good people of America just BE NICE! We call ourselves Christians. Let's act like it...  Hmmph

There was a discussion on FaceBook about why we have National Holidays.  It prompted me to do a little research (you're welcome) and here is what I found:

Wifing/Homing…

This time of year is relaxed at home. it's "Winter. So I am busy planning Spring, "when we get our tax return", projects. We really need to get some things serviced and done around here.

Check out The Marriage Monday post about being on the Same Team. I did not know that Elizabeth had started this back up. I'm happy to say Marque and I are on the same team about most things. We have an occasional "penalty" here and there. But we are a great team.

What am I talking about? She uses a sports reference to guide us this week. Ya'll do not know how much I love her Monday posts. I always learn from them. Today, I learned I/we am on the right track... and that marriage is like running a great team! love that. Thanks Elizabeth!

In Our Kitchen…

We are entering our 3rd week of the Pantry Challenge. We are loving it. We made some mistakes and did some things right... Check our post out HERE.

Today, I made a turkey. My house smells great.

 In Our School…

Well, we have a lot to do.

Christopher is not taking school as seriously as I'd like him to. He got a 70 on a Math test. I was furious. It was stupid mistakes... like adding a problem where it said subtract or not carrying the one. Sigh. CRAZY! So I made him redo the whole test.  And I told him if he was not going to concentrate for me and get himself together that he'd find himself in Public School next year.

He almost cried. And he said, "but mom, they don't even have religion there. I mean if I prayed at lunch, they'd make fun of me. You can't do that!"

I told him I don't want to do it. But things have to change. I have to change too. I get that parts of it are me. I'm soft on him and then TOO Hard. Not enough gray. You know? Happy to get good advice in comments.

To be clear. I mean it. I'm not going to fight him. I won't.

We took the day off on Friday of last week. And we took the day off today. But we will get it all done. Trust me!

Praying For…

  • Health…

    • my husband’s especially.



  • Our lack of stick-to-it!

  • Finances

  • Families who suffer loss, especially those

    • who suffer terrorists.

    • where parents lose children.



  • Our World.

  • Our Pope and Clergy.

  • For more joy in the little things…

  • The softening of people’s hearts!

  • Homeschoolers who have their children removed for no reason in the USA! Sigh. I've seen several articles lately - SCARY!


Captured…

[caption id="attachment_5252" align="aligncenter" width="324"]10941316_10206341662766889_7442583082464465970_n Watching Downton Abbey.[/caption]

You do have a tiara too right? Hee hee

Today, I am linking up with:

Have a great rest of your day all.

Love, hugs & blessings,

Em

6 comments:

  1. Hi Emily...long time! Congrats and good luck on the blog nomination. Our weather here has been nice the last couple of days. Saturday one of my girls and I walked the fields across from the house and then today kids scrambled to get outside to play or try to work with the horses. School can be a struggle. There are those days when you wish the big yellow bus would come to a screeching halt in front of your house. hang in there momma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is one packed DB! The wifing/homing category is pretty cool. And all the info on federal holidays? Interesting!

    Aw, Christopher is a sweetie....no praying at lunch!? sigh. He has such a huge heart..... no real"advice" here--just go easy. on both you and him.
    You know he's learning at his own pace and doing great.....A 70 is not really indicative of his ability level given the careless errors, but tests are a way of life....so hard to find a balance .....

    Awesome wrap up...thanks for sharing.... and I'll bet that turkey DID smell yummy on this winter day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sage Friend!
    The turkey dinner was great.
    And yes, Christopher is a great child. Just frustrating. lol
    I love Ms. Elizabeth's Monday posts.
    Blessings to you!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know.
    I have to admit when you didn't allow comments and stuff, though I understood, it felt more like a one-sided conversation...
    So I checked back here and there.... now that you are back up, and I hope for a long while, I'll be around.
    I like the interaction.
    Oh yes. I wish for the big yellow bus some days. But mostly I know how blessed we are to have this luxury of homeschooling our precious children.
    I hope all is well with you.
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Emily, I thought I had lost you to the far reaches of cyberspace... I tried your old blog and was shocked to see that it has been deleted, so I did a bit of Googling. I am glad to know that you are okay, still homeschooling, still preparing healthy family meals, and still your funny self! What a blessing to be able to visit again! Thanks! I join you in praying for your intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! I am glad you found me!
    I've been thinking of you. Did you see the Pope? How exciting!
    Hope all is well with you.
    EM

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em