Daybook – 2015, Vol. 2
No one listens willingly to someone who speaks to them from a position of self-righteousness and judgment. Again and again in the Gospels, Jesus reserves his harshest words for those who ignore their own weakness in order to lord it over others. ~ from Pope Francis and our Call to Joy
Happy Monday All!
By the time you read this, it's Monday evening... I had a lot to do today... my apologies.
I hope you had a great weekend. We did. As I posted yesterday, we had windows open and let the house air out. We are so blessed to be able to do that certain day sin Winter. It gets very cold here (not usually in the minus range, but cold enough), and to be able to open your windows is a gift we don't take for granted.
Even Fred sat outside for hours. It just felt so good.
[caption id="attachment_5253" align="aligncenter" width="395"] Fred hangs outside.[/caption]
Today is MLK Day, and my student informed me that his friends all had the day off. Soooo---We have a day off school. I will be lesson planning and organizing. lol What, you thought a mama/teacher gets a day off? Ok, yes, I am typing this in my PJ's. No, I have not made my bed or really done much else. HA!
- Sunny Days. God Bless the Sun!
- My husband
- Silly Christopher
- Our Catholic Faith
- My friends & extended family
- Paper crafting...
- Being Nominated for a Sheenazing Award. In the Most Inspiring Category. HA! I just can't believe it.
I KNOW! Can you believe it? I do hope to inspire and be well-liked. And I'm just so honored to even be nominated. I truly hope Passionate Perseverance Wins in our Category. I've never been so touched by a blog... well, not in a while. Check her out. I will post my favs tomorrow. Check back then!
I am thankful for many things. My list is endless. I just try to keep it interesting.
It's Martin Luther Kind Day. At times, I am both thrilled, and dismayed at the way in which our country still handles race-relations. Why we need "race relations" is beyond me. Why people can not be given equal chance as an American Citizen, regardless of color..... is BEYOND ME! And you know what, Good "Christians", it's not ok with God if you treat people differently because they look different or go to a different Church. Judge not, lest ye be judged! Our constitution guarantees all American Citizens many rights, and they are not based on race/religion. So why can't the good people of America just BE NICE! We call ourselves Christians. Let's act like it... Hmmph
There was a discussion on FaceBook about why we have National Holidays. It prompted me to do a little research (you're welcome) and here is what I found:
- Public holidays in the United States of America are not mandated by any government agencies, whether it be federal, state, or local governments. There are no national holidays on which all businesses are closed by law. Federal holidays are only established for certain federally chartered and regulated businesses (such as federal banks), and for Washington, D.C.. All other public holidays are created by the States; most states also allow local jurisdictions (cities, villages, etc.) to establish their own local holidays. As a result, holidays have not historically been governed at the federal level and federal law does not govern business opening. Some states restrict some business activities on some holidays.
- As of 2012, there are eleven federal holidays in the United States, ten annual holidays and one quadrennial holiday (Inauguration Day). Pursuant to the Uniform Monday Holiday Act of 1968 (effective 1971), official holidays are observed on a Monday, except for New Year's Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- Read the rest here - Holidays in the U.S.
- AND - check out Holidays Around the World.
This time of year is relaxed at home. it's "Winter. So I am busy planning Spring, "when we get our tax return", projects. We really need to get some things serviced and done around here.
Check out The Marriage Monday post about being on the Same Team. I did not know that Elizabeth had started this back up. I'm happy to say Marque and I are on the same team about most things. We have an occasional "penalty" here and there. But we are a great team.
What am I talking about? She uses a sports reference to guide us this week. Ya'll do not know how much I love her Monday posts. I always learn from them. Today, I learned I/we am on the right track... and that marriage is like running a great team! love that. Thanks Elizabeth!
In Our Kitchen…
We are entering our 3rd week of the Pantry Challenge. We are loving it. We made some mistakes and did some things right... Check our post out HERE.
Today, I made a turkey. My house smells great.
In Our School…
Well, we have a lot to do.
Christopher is not taking school as seriously as I'd like him to. He got a 70 on a Math test. I was furious. It was stupid mistakes... like adding a problem where it said subtract or not carrying the one. Sigh. CRAZY! So I made him redo the whole test. And I told him if he was not going to concentrate for me and get himself together that he'd find himself in Public School next year.
He almost cried. And he said, "but mom, they don't even have religion there. I mean if I prayed at lunch, they'd make fun of me. You can't do that!"
I told him I don't want to do it. But things have to change. I have to change too. I get that parts of it are me. I'm soft on him and then TOO Hard. Not enough gray. You know? Happy to get good advice in comments.
To be clear. I mean it. I'm not going to fight him. I won't.
We took the day off on Friday of last week. And we took the day off today. But we will get it all done. Trust me!
- my husband’s especially.
- Our lack of stick-to-it!
- Families who suffer loss, especially those
- who suffer terrorists.
- where parents lose children.
- Our World.
- Our Pope and Clergy.
- For more joy in the little things…
- The softening of people’s hearts!
- Homeschoolers who have their children removed for no reason in the USA! Sigh. I've seen several articles lately - SCARY!
[caption id="attachment_5252" align="aligncenter" width="324"] Watching Downton Abbey.[/caption]
You do have a tiara too right? Hee hee
Today, I am linking up with:
- Weird, Unsocialized Homeschool’s – Weekly Wrap Up - ok, I did not make the link up because it's now 6pm. BUT I would have if I hadn't had so much to do. BOO Go read the blogs anyway.
- Home to 4 Kiddos’ – Week in Review
- The Littlest Way's - Daybook Online Journal
- Yes They are All Ours - Marriage Monday
Have a great rest of your day all.
Love, hugs & blessings,