Sunday, January 4, 2015

Let The Pantry Challenge Begin...

Filled with the Holy Spirit, St. Francis was constantly joyful. Because of this, his words touched people’s hearts. Living peacefully requires that we recognize outright lies and seductive half-truths that we encounter. What we watch on TV and other forms of entertainment, or how we use social media can build up or tear down peace. ~ from Peace and Good


Happy Happy Sunday All.

Today in the Catholic Church, we celebrated the Solemnity of the Holy Epiphany (which is actually January 6th). However, the Church Calendar now allows for it to be celebrated on whichever Sunday falls between January 2nd and 8th. As a convert, I don't understand why it can't just be celebrated on the day. I am pretty sure it is ONLY in America that these allowances are made. Sure makes for confusion. LOL It is a beautiful feast to celebrate for sure.

I missed Mass as I hadn't been in a week because of the flu and such. It felt so good to be there. We did the Rosary. Our Church is so beautiful. Sigh! So happy to be there.

Real quick, here are a couple of pictures from New Year's Morning. We went nowhere.

IMG_0335

IMG_0334

I may or may not have told you all about the Pantry Challenge. I've done it for years... but this year, I went ALL OUT am doing it the right way! Yep. Here are a few of Jessica's Post where she explains how it all works. And - FYI, Jessica is the lady behind Good Cheap Eats AND Life As Mom!

As part of the first step of preparation... We needed to assess what we have. We spent the last few days (not all day, but here and there) going through our freezers/fridge/pantry. I am astonished to tell you that spices do expire. OK, I knew they did, but not so quickly. Oh and if you buy a lot from Bob's Red Mill and other great places that sell fresh things, bother to read the bags... you know, in case you are supposed to freeze or refrigerate the item. You do not want to know the amount of things I had to toss. At least $100 or so worth of spices and dry goods. AACK!

IMG_0343

The Above Sheet is here: Inventory - Pantry and Freezer Sheet1.  It represents what we have in the Freezer/Pantry.  On my sheet, I've written the number, so I can keep track. I honestly think we have enough food (not dairy) to last through mid-Feb. Maybe longer. lol

[caption id="attachment_5194" align="aligncenter" width="300"]IMG_0339 Kitchen Freezer/Fridge[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_5191" align="aligncenter" width="300"]IMG_0342 Garage Freezer[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_5193" align="aligncenter" width="300"]IMG_0340 First Pantry Shot[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_5192" align="aligncenter" width="300"]IMG_0341 2nd Pantry Shot[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_5195" align="aligncenter" width="300"]IMG_0324 Um. My husband brought back eight cases of beer from our trip. He knew we were doing a Pantry Challenge...[/caption]

I thought ya'll would get a kick out of the last one.

Ok - so, After you assess what you have, then comes the meal plan and the plan for prep work.

I am only going to post about this on Sundays... because i have other things to blog about. BUT if you want daily doses of it, Jessica @ Good Cheap Eats, is blogging about it daily! I shared a few links above.

My (Our) Goals Are:

  • Use what we have. I am going to paint and paper our pantry in the Spring (don't tell Marque. HA).

  • Not spend $$. Um, we seriously spent to much over the holidays.

  • Get a better handle (again) on our grocery budget.

  • Have fun.


My (Our) Dinner MealPlan this Week is:

  • Sunday (Tonight) - Leek & Potato Soup from The Good Cheap Eats Cook Book. I embellished it... I had no veggie broth, so I used chicken broth. And my husband wanted meat in it, so I used ham. It really is so good.

  • Monday (Marque's Birthday) - Spaghetti & Meatballs and Salad! AND Chocolate Cake.

  • Tuesday -  Mushroom/Chicken Bake. This is so good.

  • Wednesday - Leftovers

  • Thursday - Sautéed veggies and pasta

  • Friday - Cod Tacos

  • Saturday - Chicken Pot Pies


For breakfasts, we will make things like oatmeal, pancakes, egg wraps, muffins, etc. For lunches, we will have soups, sandwiches or salads. Sometimes it is all about finger foods.

I hope some of you will join me (us). This is the first day. So join right in.

Have a great week. Today is Birthday Eve for Marque, so we are going to watch Downton Abby later.

Love, hugs & Many Blessings,

Em

2 comments:

  1. We're just getting started today, since we've had lots of sickies over the past 2 weeks. I'm still working on my inventory list but I know we're having chili/cornbread, potato soup, chicken/rice casserole, and probably some sort of pasta/salad/foccacia. Kids can have cereal/oatmeal for breakfasts (until I get around to making banana bread and pumpkin muffins) and lunches are always sandwiches/soups/salads. It's going to be really cold, so I know we've got a split pea soup coming up too. Thankfully most of my family likes hearty soups/stews. We're going to have lots, since we have ham/turkey bones that need to get out of my freezer! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to do soup weekly for sure.
    It was fun making the soup yesterday!
    Share your blog post if you blog and I will stop by.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message. I love hearing your thoughts. You are a blessing to me.
Em